Emotional Support Chameleon???

Should I register Diego as an emotional support pet?

• Yes!

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 16 53.3%

• Total voters
thanks for saying this, honestly I wanted to say something like this but this is definitely more thought out than college will be hell for that chameleon. not to expose myself on the internet but the only reason I don't yet have a service dog (not an ESA) is because my family is allergic and it isn't a possibility. my therapist has mentioned one numerous times and would like me to have one in the future to better treat my ptsd and other mental disorders.

as much as I would love for the op to be dedicated and have their chameleon with them, it just isn't a reasonable to register them when you don't really need it. keep it at a parents or friends house for the time being if you want but I think adoption is the best way...

They may be harder to find as trained service dog but what about a hypo allergenic type dog.

thanks for saying this, honestly I wanted to say something like this but this is definitely more thought out than college will be hell for that chameleon. not to expose myself on the internet but the only reason I don't yet have a service dog (not an ESA) is because my family is allergic and it isn't a possibility. my therapist has mentioned one numerous times and would like me to have one in the future to better treat my ptsd and other mental disorders.

as much as I would love for the op to be dedicated and have their chameleon with them, it just isn't a reasonable to register them when you don't really need it. keep it at a parents or friends house for the time being if you want but I think adoption is the best way...

A standard poodle is typically the service animal recommended for people with allergies. If you dont mind a fru fru service anima :p

nope my family is allergic to dogs dander and the flakes of urine and saliva that come off a dog

Oh that really sucks. Have they considered immunotherapy? (Allergy shots) it takes a long time but it can drastically reduce the symptoms or allergies. I think that coupled with a hypo allergenic dog may help?

Not sure how severe there allergies are but I would consider it if it could help you get a service dog.

Oh that really sucks. Have they considered immunotherapy? (Allergy shots) it takes a long time but it can drastically reduce the symptoms or allergies. I think that coupled with a hypo allergenic dog may help?

Not sure how severe there allergies are but I would consider it if it could help you get a service dog.
my dad, whom is deathly allergic hasn't been to the doctors in years... he has a phobia of them

Well this is a tough one for me, as my husband has a service dog (not an emotional support animal). I cannot begin to tell you how big of an effect people using the emotional support animal crutch has on people with true service animals and disabilities.

That being said I doubt you’d take your cham to a restaurant! I voted no on principal. You would unknowingly, and innocently be making it more difficult for someone who truly needs one down the road.
Hello!
I actually do suffer from some mental issues (depression, anxiety, high levels of stress) so its not that im “abusing” it per say but its just an odd pet to be an esa

I'm going to be unpopular here for a minute, but honestly the well-being of a chameleon comes first for me, always. Your chameleon is a year old. Did you not realize when you got him that you would be going to college, or that it was at least in the realm of possibliity? College is NO place for a chameleon in a dorm. It doesn't matter how much you tell your roommate that he's a hands-off animal, unless you are there 24/7 there are going to be times when your roommate and their friends are in your room without your supervision. Someone could get curious and try to take him out. Someone could try to feed him things that he shouldn't have. Aside from those scenerios are you going to make sure that the room has a lights-off policy at a time that will not affect his circadian rhythms? What about when you want to have a party in your room and even more people are over there? I'm sorry, but the responsible thing is to not take your chameleon to school with you, and instead find a trusted person to re-home him to, even temporarily while you are at college and then take him back when you are home on breaks and for the summer.

If you read my other posts it explains how I did not purchase my chameleon but my boyfriends house burned down and he is now in my care. If you took time to read my other posts instead of writing a snarky comment you would see that :).

GENERAL REPLY OF THINGS I SHOULD HAVE ADDED!!
First- I did not purchase my chameleon, my boyfriend (actually ex now) bought him, his house burned down, I took the chameleon in. I didnt give the chameleon back because I realized my exboyfriend wasnt taking proper care of him (improper cage size, poor diet, not timed schedule for feeding/lights)
Second- I am seeing a therapist for some personal issues already. I understand the frustration of people abusing esa program and I agree it is wrong. With that said, I can qualify for an esa, I just was iffy because he is a chameleon not a standard dog/cat.
Third- I take excellent, and I mean excellent care of my guy. Since I got him, I have spent hundreds on vet care, food, and updating his cage. I am not an irresponsible pet owner and I 100000% do not trust ANYBODY with him. I have bonded with him & im not willing to give him up and risk his quality of life.
Fourth- I am a pre-vet major. I work at a vet & I know tonnss about caring for him through experience and the files on here as well as other websites. With that said.. im a pre-vet major. My class load is extremely extremely difficult with classes like chem, physics, statistics, calculus, and bio all in ONE semester. I do not enjoy parties nor do I have the time for one. Thus meaning, there wont be a lot of traffic and noisy or irresponsible behavior around him. I know I cannot control what other people do but I most likely will have a single dorm anyway.

I do not want to stay at home for the convience of living on campus. My family will not take care of him.

Have you considered living off campus and renting a house? My step daughter is away at college and this year she is transitioning to a rental house with a few housemates. It actually ended up being less expensive than her room and board on campus and she is only a mile away.
I have but I already have $500 in bills every month for my car, phone, gas, etc... I dont wanna stress about paying rent every month. Luckily I got an amazing scholarship making tutition really affordable

Isn’t it a completely different registry and regulations? I don’t think she was trying to get a service animal, just a paper saying that her chameleon is a emotional support animal shouldn’t hender someone with a true disability from getting a service animal... or do you mean places cracking down and not allowing them because anyone can get a paper saying a animal is a support animal? Now that I know has become a problem here in NC, people are printing off forms and filling them out and saying they’re certified just because of a form... Even the Walmart here has put signs up about “checking in” when you have one and I know people in the area have all together stopped going because they shouldn’t have to do that. I’m sorry if you do have problems with places and people, I really do agree if that’s what you meant...

Working at a vet... I see what she means and why its bothersome. Many people abuse the priveleges of an ESA. There is a difference though between an ESA and service animal! To register your pet for emotional support you need a therapist sign off for the document to be official which I can easily have done!

Unfortunately there are websites where you can easily get the registration with little or no paperwork to back it up. Or you can just order a vest and pretend you have the credentials, which is probably even more common.

Unfortunately there are websites where you can easily get the registration with little or no paperwork to back it up. Or you can just order a vest and pretend you have the credentials, which is probably even more common.
For housing or airplanes you need a letter written by a doctor explaining why you need your pet. You can easily get it online but you need a consult with a doctor or your current doctor for it to be official.

For housing or airplanes you need a letter written by a doctor explaining why you need your pet. You can easily get it online but you need a consult with a doctor or your current doctor for it to be official.
Actually, for most you do not, because of the Americans with Disabilities Act which prohibits asking for proof. The only exception are airlines, as some do not “recognize” the ADA and are able to self regulate in that regard. Some airlines, like Hawaiian Airlines will require documentation, many will not.

Not arguing - just talking.

Back
Top Bottom