Emotional Support Chameleon???

Should I register Diego as an emotional support pet?

• Yes!

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 16 53.3%

• Total voters

k8shm8

Hey Guys!

So my nosy be panther chameleon is turning 1years old now and he is doing great! I unfortanetly just got the bad news that I cannot bring him with me into my college dorm. I really really wanted to live on campus and get that “experience” (especially because im at community college rn). I would like to note-I am transferring in as an upperclassmen and my “dorm” is actually a room inside a house. It is spacious & if anything I would only have 1 roommate so the environment would be low traffic and not stressful. In the email, the transfer coordinator hinted if I register my chameleon as an emotional support pet, I can bring him. When I spoke with the college I clearly explained that I need to bring my chameleon because he requires pretty much daily care. I live 20 mins from the campus already so im not sure it I should come home every few days to feed him and just keep my lights and mister on a timer or if I should try to sneak him in?? Have any of you tried to register your chameleon as an emotional support animal? I feel like its almost silly to register him, espcially for selfish reasons but I really would like to bring him with. I have been to therapy for personal issues so its not that far fetched but its also funny to image a chameleon being used for emotional support. Any suggestions would be helpful, I love Diego and dont want to give him up or anything.

Below I attached the email from the college as well as some pictures of Diego!
E96C666C-17B0-4E02-8E98-849A1EE21C3B.jpeg

363F9298-DBE4-4E1A-84E5-2EFB7001AD7E.jpeg
DC468907-26A2-46FD-8EBA-72C755A97792.jpeg

I casted my vote as no originally ( i thought you mean't emotional support like him being with you everywhere) but I guess you should cast him as emotional support if you want to keep him on campus. I would have trouble just giving away my beloved pet.

I casted my vote as no originally ( i thought you mean't emotional support like him being with you everywhere) but I guess you should cast him as emotional support if you want to keep him on campus. I would have trouble just giving away my beloved pet.
Noooo haha! I wouldnt want to stress him out like that! He would stay on campus in my room, if I have a roommate I would let them know how easily stressed chameleons can be and its important that nobody touches him without my permission.

i dont think that its too far fetched to have a chameleon as an emotional support animal. i personally live with people who are allergic to fur and feathers and so if i were to get an emotional support animal it would also have to have scales. so its not unreasonable i say yes as long as you and your room mate dont have parties and stuff

Well this is a tough one for me, as my husband has a service dog (not an emotional support animal). I cannot begin to tell you how big of an effect people using the emotional support animal crutch has on people with true service animals and disabilities.

That being said I doubt you’d take your cham to a restaurant! I voted no on principal. You would unknowingly, and innocently be making it more difficult for someone who truly needs one down the road.

Have you considered living off campus and renting a house? My step daughter is away at college and this year she is transitioning to a rental house with a few housemates. It actually ended up being less expensive than her room and board on campus and she is only a mile away.

https://www.esaregistration.org/

That’s a very good place to get your registration done, they are very helpful and have little restrictions on what type of animals and also is a legal system if you were to get turned away with your pet at any point... I think that is an amazing idea and would be soooo much less stress having to leave him at home and hope that the timers never mess up, I know someone came home to a melted bulb the other day, a couple weeks ago I came home from work and my outlet that I have his lights plugged into was completely black & had I not came home early I dunno what could’ve happened... (my house burnt down in July of last year from a old refrigerator in the garage combusting & the breakers not kicking off... the wiring in that house was done almost 45 years ago & thank god we had homeowners! I used to breed exotic birds, lost a good amount in the fire so I’m so scared of it happening again.) sorry for going totally off subject, I think your idea is perfect!

Last edited:
Well this is a tough one for me, as my husband has a service dog (not an emotional support animal). I cannot begin to tell you how big of an effect people using the emotional support animal crutch has on people with true service animals and disabilities.

That being said I doubt you’d take your cham to a restaurant! I voted no on principal. You would unknowingly, and innocently be making it more difficult for someone who truly needs one down the road.
Isn’t it a completely different registry and regulations? I don’t think she was trying to get a service animal, just a paper saying that her chameleon is a emotional support animal shouldn’t hender someone with a true disability from getting a service animal... or do you mean places cracking down and not allowing them because anyone can get a paper saying a animal is a support animal? Now that I know has become a problem here in NC, people are printing off forms and filling them out and saying they’re certified just because of a form... Even the Walmart here has put signs up about “checking in” when you have one and I know people in the area have all together stopped going because they shouldn’t have to do that. I’m sorry if you do have problems with places and people, I really do agree if that’s what you meant...

In my opinion, Emotional Support Animal can have many forms, if you are going to be unduly stressed being away from your cham then YES that would be a need for emotional support. I might try that route with the explanation that he will not be traveling with you outside of the dorm room, that you just need him IN the room. Good luck!!!!

In my opinion, Emotional Support Animal can have many forms, if you are going to be unduly stressed being away from your cham then YES that would be a need for emotional support. I might try that route with the explanation that he will not be traveling with you outside of the dorm room, that you just need him IN the room. Good luck!!!!
Yes! I was trying to say that but then went squirrel. Lol

very good point brought up, i may be changing my answer now. i understand the whole disabilities thing. best wishes for you snd your husband

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on it.

Isn’t it a completely different registry and regulations? I don’t think she was trying to get a service animal, just a paper saying that her chameleon is a emotional support animal shouldn’t hender someone with a true disability from getting a service animal... or do you mean places cracking down and not allowing them because anyone can get a paper saying a animal is a support animal? Now that I know has become a problem here in NC, people are printing off forms and filling them out and saying they’re certified just because of a form... Even the Walmart here has put signs up about “checking in” when you have one and I know people in the area have all together stopped going because they shouldn’t have to do that. I’m sorry if you do have problems with places and people, I really do agree if that’s what you meant...

Yes they are completely different and have different rights, however, there is a huge problem (nationwide) where people register their pets as ESAs because it is extremely easy to do. You can also order a "service animal" vest and slap it on, and then hide behind the ADA where people and businesses are not allowed to ask questions. We have had issues all across the country where we are turned away from businesses, mostly restaurants, but also hotels, public places, even our kids sporting events. Some of this stems from people not being aware that service animals are not just for the blind, but also because people with "ESAs" and fake service animal vests want to bring their nippy Pomeranian or badly behaved pet to a public venue. The people who get ESAs and the fake vests solely to make it more convenient to have a pet, or bring their pet with them places, are a major reason places give true service animals a hard time.

I totally get wanting to bring your cham to school. Everyone loves their pet. Everyone gets upset when they are away from their pet. And a LOT of people on this forum had to give up their pets when situations changed, and I'm sure that is incredibly difficult to do. But being sad because you miss your pet is not what ESAs are for.

There is currently a lot of discussion going on about more closely regulating the ESA, Therapy, and Service Animal process to help combat the exploitation. There is something wrong with the system when you can pay $99 online to label your pet centipede as an ESA, but someone with a major disability is unable to board an airplane or eat in public because their service animal, who cost upwards of $50,000 and 2 years to train and an application process which can take years... their service animal isn't believed to be legit. ESAs and Service Animals do not have hte same rights, but people exploit the rules because they want their pets to be with them.

Yes they are completely different and have different rights, however, there is a huge problem (nationwide) where people register their pets as ESAs because it is extremely easy to do. You can also order a "service animal" vest and slap it on, and then hide behind the ADA where people and businesses are not allowed to ask questions. We have had issues all across the country where we are turned away from businesses, mostly restaurants, but also hotels, public places, even our kids sporting events. Some of this stems from people not being aware that service animals are not just for the blind, but also because people with "ESAs" and fake service animal vests want to bring their nippy Pomeranian or badly behaved pet to a public venue. The people who get ESAs and the fake vests solely to make it more convenient to have a pet, or bring their pet with them places, are a major reason places give true service animals a hard time.

I totally get wanting to bring your cham to school. Everyone loves their pet. Everyone gets upset when they are away from their pet. And a LOT of people on this forum had to give up their pets when situations changed, and I'm sure that is incredibly difficult to do. But being sad because you miss your pet is not what ESAs are for.

There is currently a lot of discussion going on about more closely regulating the ESA, Therapy, and Service Animal process to help combat the exploitation. There is something wrong with the system when you can pay $99 online to label your pet centipede as an ESA, but someone with a major disability is unable to board an airplane or eat in public because their service animal, who cost upwards of $50,000 and 2 years to train and an application process which can take years... their service animal isn't believed to be legit. ESAs and Service Animals do not have hte same rights, but people exploit the rules because they want their pets to be with them.
That’s what I totally agree with, and my apologies that anyone with a disability has any type of problem, I care for my grandparents who are disabled and just day to day is a struggle for me and them. I was only implying for the situation where they hinted it would be possible, if she was only taking him and keeping him in her room..

I'd seriously recommend looking for off campus housing if its possible. Then you can do whatever you want! :D My daughter's dorm is ridiculous. They are only allowed to have so many electrical items, and no surge protectors / extenders allowed. She wouldn't have enough ports to run the lights, alone! They have random inspections... they even confiscated a little USB charging station she had.

I can see from both side of the view..School would rather u concentrate on the school work..but ur feeling attachments is base build on the time u keep with the cham so it really depends on what is your current goal and needs...so I decide not to cast the vote cause I dont want my vote to be effecting ur true feeling inside ur heart.
And Im sure you will find a way to adjust whatever the outcome n dealing with your right own way.:)

I'm going to be unpopular here for a minute, but honestly the well-being of a chameleon comes first for me, always. Your chameleon is a year old. Did you not realize when you got him that you would be going to college, or that it was at least in the realm of possibliity? College is NO place for a chameleon in a dorm. It doesn't matter how much you tell your roommate that he's a hands-off animal, unless you are there 24/7 there are going to be times when your roommate and their friends are in your room without your supervision. Someone could get curious and try to take him out. Someone could try to feed him things that he shouldn't have. Aside from those scenerios are you going to make sure that the room has a lights-off policy at a time that will not affect his circadian rhythms? What about when you want to have a party in your room and even more people are over there? I'm sorry, but the responsible thing is to not take your chameleon to school with you, and instead find a trusted person to re-home him to, even temporarily while you are at college and then take him back when you are home on breaks and for the summer.

If for some reason you get denied and need to let him go please check around here if anyone is interested in adoption. I know I definitely would be! Beautiful dude!

thanks for saying this, honestly I wanted to say something like this but this is definitely more thought out than college will be hell for that chameleon. not to expose myself on the internet but the only reason I don't yet have a service dog (not an ESA) is because my family is allergic and it isn't a possibility. my therapist has mentioned one numerous times and would like me to have one in the future to better treat my ptsd and other mental disorders.

as much as I would love for the op to be dedicated and have their chameleon with them, it just isn't a reasonable to register them when you don't really need it. keep it at a parents or friends house for the time being if you want but I think adoption is the best way...

Back
Top Bottom