Emergency Need Help!

shinigami81

My problem started when I went to feed my veiled about 4:00pm. I put her feeding dish with some cricket's in her cage,She was half way down her branch on the other side of the cage when she saw them. She immediently ran down the branch and across the floor of her cage climbed up the cup and shot out her tongue. She had a hard time retracting it I had to help get it back in her mouth. once I got her tongue back in her mouth I put her back in her cage hopeing she would be fine after a little rest. But when I walked buy her cage a few minute's ago I notice her moveing funny,then I noticed her tongue was wraped around a small plant branch I had to brake the plant apart to free her tongue. Now I'am really worried about her I raised her from a baby so I would hate to see her die. There are no reptile vet's in my area or any vets that are open and I dont have money to take her to one. I'am going crazy trying to figure out what too do. If anybody has any advice on how to help her please let me know.

this does not sound good. How old is she and how long have you had her? It would be a big help if you could answer your setup and feeding regimen:

1. Cage type: What size and type of cage (screen, glass, etc.)?

2. Temperatures: What is the basking temperature? How do you measure the temperature in your setup? What is the temperature in the warmest spot? The coolest spot? At night? During the day? You should measure the temperature of the chameleons' skin or the surface of its current branch to get a more accurate reading. Do you leave any heat on at night? What is the temperature in the room at night?

3. Lighting: What brand is your UVB light? How long have you been using it? How long are your lights on each day? Do you leave any lights on at night? Where are the lights? on top?

4. Humidity: Do you have a humidity gauge? What is the range of relative humidity (RH) from lowest to highest? How long does it take to go from high to low? Do you use a humidifier? Do you live in the north or south (or other)?

5. Water: Have you observed your chameleon drinking? How often do you mist? Do you have a dripper?

6. Food: Have you observed your chameleon eating? What is the chameleon's diet? Where do you get your live feeder prey? What are you feeding the feeders? Fresh veggies? Gut load? If you use a commercial gut load what is the brand? If you make your own what are the ingredients?

7. Supplements: What type of supplement(s) do you use? Brand name(s)? How often do you use supplements?

8. Plants & branches:
What plants do you have? Are your plants alive or fake? Do the plants provide lots of coverage where the chameleon will feel safe? Can you see your chameleon most of the time or can it hide from your view?

9. Chameleon facts: How old is the chameleon? Do you know if it is wild caught or captive born? Did you get the chameleon at a show? Breeder?

10. Handling: Do you handle your chameleon? How often and how long? What is its reaction to you? Is the cage in a quiet part of the house or is it in a busy or noisy area? Any big stereo speakers near the cage? Is your chameleon alone in the cage? Can your chameleon see any other herps or pets from the cage?

11. Veterinarians: Do you have a veterinarian who KNOWS chameleons?

One last thing: As great as everyone is here (and they are), if there is a medical problem there is no substitute for a trip to the veterinarian. I know you say there are none in your area, here are some places for you to check for sure. Also state where you live and someone might be able to direct you.

http://www.exoticpetvetfinder.com/

http://www.arav.org/Directory.htm

http://www.herpvetconnection.com/

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html

Last edited:
Until you can find a vet, make sure you keep the tongue moist. Let it rest on a clean and wet paper towel. Don't let it dry out. But most importantly find a vet.

A vet isn't as expensive as you would think. I had a panther to the vet twice last week and it was 37 dollars once and 64 the next (medicines made the second trip more expensive).

Even vets with a small amount of reptile knowledge are better than no medical care at all. Try the links lele gave you. You may be surprised at who is near you.

lele, My problem has nothing to do with my cham's husbandry. It's her feeding habit's she gets excieted at the sight of food.That's how this problem started, when I put her feeding cup full of cricket's in her cage she climbed on the cup shot her tongue at a cricket and missed. now her tongue's hang out of her mouth. I used the link you posted and found the only exotic vet around my area. There INSANE!, They want $142.00 just for an emergency visit. I can guess what they will charge for treatment and med's. I cant afford that. I dont know what to do now.

Im taking a guess that when she shot out her tongue she cut it on something, and maybe it got infected. I think you should find a vet immediately, and if there is absolutely no way that you can afford a vet, you should take a closer look at her tongue and see if that's what the problem might be, if it is then I suggest that you do a little research on something called Colloidal Silver, it's affordable, safe for all animals, and will fight the infection if there is one.

-B

I was able to find a vet nearby to take care of my cham. Unfortunaly she ended up loseing her tongue, It shouldn't be to hard for her to adjust to not haveing it since she normaly eat"s with out useing it. She's also back to her normal habit's.I'am going to try to see if she will eat later.

Wow, Sorry to hear that your cham lost her tongue. Hope she will adjust well to it. I've heard of chams eating like regular lizards after losing their tongue. Give us an update on how she is doing later. Good luck.

You said..."she normaly eat"s with out useing it"...this is not normal...so as was suggested, you should go over your husbandry.

Most chameleons can learn to eat without a tongue.

Good luck with her!

Back
Top Bottom