EMERGENCY!!! Eye problem

gracie88

Today as I put Cosmo back in his enclosure after free-range time, I noticed he was doing something weird with his eye. I took a video but I don't know how to attach it to my post, so if I had to explain what be was doing I would say it was like he was bringing his eye back into the socket/making his eye go in. He did this a bunch of times and I thought I could even see something in there, but maybe I am imagining it. This is super concerning to me and I think I should give him a prolonged misting session incase he has something in his eye but I wanted to reach out to you guys first, I attached my filled out healthcare sheet below. Any help is appreciated!

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Male veiled chameleon around three months old, have had him for almost a month, got him 5/1/20.
  • Handling - I try not to handle him too often, probably a couple times a week. This seems like a lot but he has a 5 foot tall money tree and until I can get him more live plants this is his only live plant time, so it gives him a chance to enjoy that. I will admit, when he does come out he is out for a long period of time, but 75% of this time he is enjoying his live plants or outside time. I closely look for any kind of stress and when he is out he is always green and active.
  • Feeding - I feed Cosmo a balanced diet of dubias, BSFL, and superworms. If I had to make an estimate of how many of each, I would say 6-8 dubias, 4-5 BSFL, 2-3 superworms, but around 13 feeders total. I feed him once a day in the morning/early afternoon. I gutload my feeders with turnip greens, collard greens, and carrots.
  • Supplements - I use ZooMed's ReptiCalcium without D3 everyday, ZooMed's with D3 once every other week, and ExoTerra's Multivitamin once every other week.
  • Watering - I use a misting system that goes off once every 4 hours for 2 minutes. Twice a week a mist for 7 minutes straight to give him a chance to really drink/wash his eyes out. If I don't do this, I have shower time with Cosmo. Although this isn't neccessary, I'm from an EXTREMELY dry climate so this gives him a chance to really get some water and like I mentioned before, wash his eyes out if needed. I also have a homemade dripper system but until I can set up drainage I won't use it. I do occasionally see him drink but he is shy about it.
  • Fecal Description - Cosmo has consistent, dark brown poops with almost completely white urates. The other day I did see a urate with a little piece orange but I quickly looked it up and Gingero says this can happen through a crystal structure type thing, I haven't seen any orange urate since. Cosmo has never been tested for parasites but I hope to get him tested once we are out of this Coronavirus craziness.
  • History - Nothing special in particular, got him from LLLReptile on 5/1/20.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Cosmo has a 24x24x48 screened enclosure with clear saran wrap on the outsides. This may sound a little weird but it is completely safe and is only to make sure his humidity stays up (considering my dry climate.)
  • Lighting - I am using the ReptiSun T5HO 5.0 UVB light and a 100 watt light bulb for heating. Cosmos lights are on from 1030 AM to 1030pm but once I get back to school I will slowly work on getting this time closer to sundown.
  • Temperature - Basking spot temps are around 80-84 but I do not know the exact floor temperature. His overnight temps are about 70 degrees. I measure this with a duel thermometer.
  • Humidity - Humidity levels are 40%, but at night they reach 60-70%.
  • Plants - I only have one bamboo plant in Cosmos enclosure but I am hoping to add Pothos soon/transition to all live plants. When I give Cosmo free range time he has a 5 foot tall money tree so he has a lot of oppurtunities to enjoy live plants until I can get him real ones (I can't get them yet because his drainage isn't set up yet because his stand for his enclosure is still being shipped).
  • Placement - My cage is located in the corner of my room away from an fans, airvents, or traffic areas. I ordered a ReptiBreeze stand for his enclosure that should be coming soon but until then it just goes on my floor. Besides me, I only have a cat that has access to my room and she is barely in here so his cage being on the floor doesn't seem to stress Cosmo out at all.
  • Location - I am from Nevada.

Current Problem - See text above!!

Last edited:
Today as I put Cosmo back in his enclosure after free-range time, I noticed he was doing something weird with his eye. I took a video but I don't know how to attach it to my post, so if I had to explain what be was doing I would say it was like he was bringing his eye back into the socket/making his eye go in. He did this a bunch of times and I thought I could even see something in there, but maybe I am imagining it. This is super concerning to me and I think I should give him a prolonged misting session incase he has something in his eye but I wanted to reach out to you guys first, I attached my filled out healthcare sheet below. Any help is appreciated!

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Male veiled chameleon around three months old, have had him for almost a month, got him 5/1/20.
  • Handling - I try not to handle him too often, probably a couple times a week. This seems like a lot but he has a 5 foot tall money tree and until I can get him more live plants this is his only live plant time, so it gives him a chance to enjoy that. I will admit, when he does come out he is out for a long period of time, but 75% of this time he is enjoying his live plants or outside time. I closely look for any kind of stress and when he is out he is always green and active.
  • Feeding - I feed Cosmo a balanced diet of dubias, BSFL, and superworms. If I had to make an estimate of how many of each, I would say 6-8 dubias, 4-5 BSFL, 2-3 superworms, but around 13 feeders total. I feed him once a day in the morning/early afternoon. I gutload my feeders with turnip greens, collard greens, and carrots.
  • Supplements - I use ZooMed's ReptiCalcium without D3 everyday, ZooMed's with D3 once every other week, and ExoTerra's Multivitamin once every other week.
  • Watering - I use a misting system that goes off once every 4 hours for 2 minutes. Twice a week a mist for 7 minutes straight to give him a chance to really drink/wash his eyes out. If I don't do this, I have shower time with Cosmo. Although this isn't neccessary, I'm from an EXTREMELY dry climate so this gives him a chance to really get some water and like I mentioned before, wash his eyes out if needed. I also have a homemade dripper system but until I can set up drainage I won't use it. I do occasionally see him drink but he is shy about it.
  • Fecal Description - Cosmo has consistent, dark brown poops with almost completely white urates. The other day I did see a urate with a little piece orange but I quickly looked it up and Gingero says this can happen through a crystal structure type thing, I haven't seen any orange urate since. Cosmo has never been tested for parasites but I hope to get him tested once we are out of this Coronavirus craziness.
  • History - Nothing special in particular, got him from LLLReptile on 5/1/20.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Cosmo has a 24x24x48 screened enclosure with clear saran wrap on the outsides. This may sound a little weird but it is completely safe and is only to make sure his humidity stays up (considering my dry climate.)
  • Lighting - I am using the ReptiSun T5HO 5.0 UVB light and a 100 watt light bulb for heating. Cosmos lights are on from 1030 AM to 1030pm but once I get back to school I will slowly work on getting this time closer to sundown.
  • Temperature - Basking spot temps are around 80-84 but I do not know the exact floor temperature. His overnight temps are about 70 degrees. I measure this with a duel thermometer.
  • Humidity - Humidity levels are 40%, but at night they reach 60-70%.
  • Plants - I only have one bamboo plant in Cosmos enclosure but I am hoping to add Pothos soon/transition to all live plants. When I give Cosmo free range time he has a 5 foot tall money tree so he has a lot of oppurtunities to enjoy live plants until I can get him real ones (I can't get them yet because his drainage isn't set up yet because his stand for his enclosure is still being shipped).
  • Placement - My cage is located in the corner of my room away from an fans, airvents, or traffic areas. I ordered a ReptiBreeze stand for his enclosure that should be coming soon but until then it just goes on my floor. Besides me, I only have a cat that has access to my room and she is barely in here so his cage being on the floor doesn't seem to stress Cosmo out at all.
  • Location - I am from Nevada.

Current Problem - See text above!!
As MissSkittles said, let us know your IG or somewhere we can view it

You have to first put your video on something like YouTube or instagram and then link it here

Once I post it what do I do? I attached the link but I don't know if it worked? Is it working?

EDIT: Nevermind, I am posting the video on my youtube now!

Ca you post a photo of his cage so we can see if your setup is ok?

Looks like he's just cleaning his eye!

Of course! Should I give him a prolonged mist to help him out?
I would also like to point out that he will be getting all real plants soon, I am just waiting for his stand to come in so I can set up proper drainage.

Attachments

• B73633CB-CC4F-4A98-8929-79E0369C359C.jpeg
    B73633CB-CC4F-4A98-8929-79E0369C359C.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 84
When he gets a little older you will want to use all real non toxic well washed bothe sides of the leaves plants....since veileds nibble on vegetation.

When he gets a little older you will want to use all real non toxic well washed bothe sides of the leaves plants....since veileds nibble on vegetation.

Thats the plan! Unfortunately we can't give him real plants until his stand comes in but until then he has a bunch of live plants to hang out on during free range time, thank you so much for the help!

Back
Top Bottom