EMERGENCY chameleon malnuerished need help feeding before vet visit tmrw

wixard

so my 5 month old panther chameleon was doing great last week when i noteced his left eye not opening so i took him to the vet on thursday and they gave me eye drops which i started trying top use but they wernt helping since a couple days ago hes become lethargic aand not eating i setup the closet vet appt which is at 6 tmrw i was i think the problem is hes malnourished ive tryed hand feeding him the last couple days but he doesnt want to eat im wondewring if theres anything i could buy to feed thru syringe or make at home
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Panther chameleon, male, 5 mo old
  • Handling - only necessary like when giving eyedrops
  • Feeding - currently i am offering around 10-15 crickets (the smaller one so he can handle them)
  • Supplements - I'm using the rep-cal without d3 and reptivite every other week
  • Watering - i have been using a spray bottle to mist about 3 times a day
  • Fecal Description - the fecal matter look normal brown on one end and white on the other
  • History - N/A

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - its the reptibreeze screen cage medium (18x18x36)
  • Lighting - reptisun T5HO fixture with t5 5.0 bulb and a flukers clamp lamp with a 40w bulb currently
  • Temperature - Around 75F at the bottom to 85 directly on the basking spot im using a point and shoot thermometer
  • Humidity - they usually stay around 60 overall and are heigher in the bottom of the cage and after misting obv
  • Plants - currently i just have a large Monstera in there but im prepping a pothos to start creating vines
  • Placement - the cage is located in my room I'm the only usually in there
  • Location - Texas

You say misting 3x daily but at what times and temps are the enclosure when misting? As you should only mist in morn and night when basking lights are off. :)

Would also upgrade enclosure to a 2x2x4 as i believe thats the species recommend minimum.

Any signs of posturing head vertically? Could have a respiratory infection.

You say misting 3x daily but at what times and temps are the enclosure when misting? As you should only mist in morn and night when basking lights are off. :)

Would also upgrade enclosure to a 2x2x4 as i believe thats the species recommend minimum.

Any signs of posturing head vertically? Could have a respiratory infection.
sorry i copyed that from my last post i spray before the lights are on and after there off im going to uprgrade once he gets bigger

Attachments

• IMG-1657.jpg
    IMG-1657.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG-1658.jpg
    IMG-1658.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 69
I'm so sorry! It's a horrible question to ask, but are you sure he's dead?
yeah he wasnt breathing and i picked him up and stuff to make sure he didnt respond to anything i understand the thought to ask though thanks he was also very dark all over

yeah he wasnt breathing and i picked him up and stuff to make sure he didnt respond to anything i understand the thought to ask though thanks
If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy him from? Some places sell sick chams. We can still go over your husbandry form if you want to and/or are planning on getting another cham

If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy him from? Some places sell sick chams. We can still go over your husbandry form if you want to and/or are planning on getting another cham
i bought him from a breeder at a convention who im still in contact with i think it may have been just one of those things that went under the radar and came up all of a sudden

if you dont mind, when i talked to the vet they told me all my stuff looked good (they had a whole survey to fill out about husbandry similar to the one on here) ill prob wait a while but i may look into it again

Vets rarely have any experience with chams, and even when they do see them, they don’t know much. Unless the vet has worked with chams and have a particular interest in it, they’re often more useless than someone that’s been researching chams(correctly) for a few weeks.

Your chameleon likely had a parasite, respiratory illness, or some other internal matter.

Sorry you lost him

Sorry for your lost, terrible to read this, but don´t get discouraged by this event, because I think you made a great start (even going to a vet with him). Keep him in your heart.

i bought him from a breeder at a convention who im still in contact with i think it may have been just one of those things that went under the radar and came up all of a sudden
Sorry for all the questions, especially with your circumstance, but was it a reputable breeder?
if you dont mind, when i talked to the vet they told me all my stuff looked good (they had a whole survey to fill out about husbandry similar to the one on here) ill prob wait a while but i may look into it again
Take your time to heal and do what you need to do, we're here for you! I'm so sorry for your loss!

Back
Top Bottom