Emergancy, you guys are my last resort, please help!

asock

I apologize in advance for my scatter plot writing, im freaking out and having a hard time gathering my thoughts. also sorry for the wall of text, but i figured every bit of detail may help you help me.

history,
september 2013 i was living in aurora colorado, i bought a male and female jacksons chameleon, and both got there own set up which is described below, they did great,in febuary of this year 2014 the company i was working for went under, we got laid off and i had to move back home to sarasota florida in march. i drove back instead of flying to reduce stress, had them in smaller cages with there live plants for familarity and comfort, i fed them a bunch before the trip and they drank water when misted every day for the 4 day trip, long story even longer they survived and imediately resumed normal behaviors, eating drinking climbing basking.
about two months ago the male died from a hunger strike, i wasn't using super worms at the time, and crickets were hiding and by the time i realise he wasn't eating it was too late, it happened rather sudden,

now my female is still doing great, but she's showing a few signs the same as the male, such as not eating obviously but her movement is awkward, shes still up in branches and not any where near the ground or on it, but shes a tad skidish when moving about, not shakey and compltely clumsy missing branches and falling, but compared to how she's behaved since ive had her up until about a month ago, she's declining, explained a little more below.

Chameleon bio:
female jackson
1.5 years old
8-9 inches long
not sure about weight but she was big and seems to be thinning out SLIGHTLY.
uvb 5.0 if i remember correctly. 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off.
40watt incandescant bulb at an angle point out from the cage, so theres just a small spot of heat and doesn't heat the entire cage

enclosure is a reptarium 65 gallon 16.5in x 30in x 28in

i have two artificial thick brown bendable vines, and a live umbrella tree plant. it was once very bushy and could support her weight when she was younger, but since the plant is indoors all the time its thinned out and since she's grown quite a bit she mostly sticks to the artificial vines.

i mist by hand in the morning after turning on uvb, and mist until she stops drinking. despite being lethargic and not eating she is still drinking.

i used crickets gutloaded mostly with potatoe and occasionly carrots, she usually eats so fast, until recently. and dusted with d3 every other week. up until about a month ago she ate every cricket(4) i threw in, and even the extra two in the afternoon, but then i notice crickets hunging out with her under the heat lamp, she wasnt eating all of them, so i introduced superworms, first day i gave her 4 in a dish ontop of the soil in the plant at the base of the stems, she didn't seem interested that day, until the next morning i woke up and they were gone! she ate them, i didn't want her to get hooked to i stayed away from feeding her those until 2 weeks later, when i noticed she still wasn't eating her crickets, i fed her 4 more super worms, and it kid of spiraled out of control, but now she isn't even eating super worms. it's been a week. several crickets in the cage and super worms in her dish, i tried holding the dish in front of her a couple times and twice ive had success, SHE ATE OUT of my hands! until two days ago she missed a meal worm and got nervous and walked away with out eating, now onto today she still hasn't eatin anything, except one meal worm, it took her a while but finally she ate it, it looked as if she was scared or hesitant, and when she finally ate it chwed it for a few good seconds and sort of stuck her tongue out, im not sure if she was trying to push it back in her throat or if it bit her. but it was odd behavior.

its also worth mentioning her color its always a healthy bright green. when i first got her in september 2013 she was dark brown almost black. the breeder said she was around 6-8 months old. and around october she started adopting more greens.

and then throw in 4 crickets before noon and turn on the heat lamp before noon for her to bask and digest.
i then mist a second time after she has moved away from the basking lamp before the evening.
and once again after turning off the heat lamp to cool the enclosure an hour or so before i turn of the uvb for the night.
i always make sure to mist until she stops drinking and even a little after casue she enjoys the showers.

now onto my concerns: within the last month shes become lethargic, she used to move very well and swiftly, and even cross the catch to catch crickets on the other side, thru out the day i would catch her walking about the cage, and now even tho she drinks regularly and basks, for the most part shes in one or two spots and either sleeping or just resting her chin on her hands/branch. and she won't eat, and she moves very skidishly and slow while turning around on a branch almost like shes trying to feel out where the branch is but is having trouble. i have a feeling this is because shes weak from not eating, but why isn't she eating?

i thought maybe she was bored, so i tried to introduce a new bushier plant that i'd been setting up since about a month ago, when i clean her cage every week or so, i bring her outside with me on the pation and put the plant half out in the sun and half in the shade, and she loves it, she turns a vibrant teal with awesome black patterns. so last time i was cleaning i put her plant next to the new plant and she quickly jumped ship, so when i set her stuff back up inside, i put both of them in there, so she could have a familiar plant, but the new one was way to big and bushy so i had to remove it, and instead just put a new live umbrella tree plant branch into the soil of the old plant. im always concerned maybe all of this stressed her out, she's used to being taken out when i clean the cage, but maybe the new plant and then no new plant all with an hr or so confused her.

THANK YOU FOR READING ALL OF THAT MESS. if anyone in the sarasota florida area is interested in talking over the phone pm me, if you think it'll speed things up, i'll try and check back here on the forums.

also im sorry for being a bad owner, i lurk the forums all the time and when my male was having problems i contemplted posting something instead of just diggin and researching but like i said by the time i'd even thought of it it was to late.

she's a very strong aggressive chameleon and i have better faith in her pulling thru this.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
jacksons, female, 1.5 years

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
i do not handle her.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
crickets x4-6 a day, super worms x4 every 2-3 weeks/more often now becasue she isn't eating anyting, and now not even super worms, gutload with potatoes and carrots every other week.

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
flukers calcium with d3 on 4 crickets once a month.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
i mist by hand, once in the morning, afternoon and evening, i mist a until a littel after she is done drinking, yes i see her drink all the time.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
clear yeallowish, runny syrupy like, no solids, usually theres a marble sized clump of brown digested crickets. and a trail of orange.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
retarium screen 65 gallon, 16.5in x 30in x 28in

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
uvb 5.0, 40 watt incandescant for heat, 12hrs on 12 hhrs off. anywhere from 6am-9am i turn on and then 12 hrs later depending, ill turn off

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
i don't have any way to tell, but based on this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKTbUaOQ0aA
with a 40 watt bulb at an angle, even if it gets above 80 degrees f its only a small portion. in colorado during the fall thru the winter it was a constant 65-70 thru out the day and deffinately droped 10 degress every night. in florida it's in my room in the central ac which is kept at 70-75.
but like i said i have no way of actually measuring this, but its very obvious there are varying degrees of temperatures within the enclosure by her behavior.

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
even in colorado it was easy keeping humidity at 70% between mistings and 90-100% during and for a few hours after, especially living in a basements and both enclosures had live plants. moving to florida has only made humidity stay at a higher constant.

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
yes, umbrella tree plants

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
the cages have always been in my room behind closed door, a vent 20ft away on the ceiling, and a fan pointing away from the cage to me on my bed at night when i sleep. top of the is about 6ft from the floor, ive always had them on tables, and about about 1ft from the wall.

Location - Where are you geographically located?
they were bred in greeley golorado, and i lived in aurora from the time i bought them in spetember at 6-8 months old. and moved to florida in march of this year 2014.

sorry to double post here, i found the "how to..." and was in the middle of editing my original post but it wouldn't let me.

Okay, there are some people who are more of experts who may jump in at some point on this, but there are some things I see that need to be handled. Everything I added is red.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
jacksons, female, 1.5 years

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
i do not handle her.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
crickets x4-6 a day, super worms x4 every 2-3 weeks/more often now becasue she isn't eating anyting, and now not even super worms, gutload with potatoes and carrots every other week.
You definitely need to be feeding more in the first place. Obviously, she isn't eating at all right now... but once you get her eating again, something more along the lines of 10-15 crix would be more along the lines of what you'd want to feed (please specify if you're breeding).

You should also be adding in much more variety. For example, I feed my Cham 6 Supers, 2 butterworms and about 6 crix a day. And every now and then I'll throw in a roach, hornworm, waxworm, moth, dragonfly, praying mantis, snail, etc.

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
flukers calcium with d3 on 4 crickets once a month.
You need to be dusting your feeders with calcium WITHOUT d3 every day and use your d3 and multivitamin every 2 weeks. Anything less could malnutrition your cham.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
i mist by hand, once in the morning, afternoon and evening, i mist a until a littel after she is done drinking, yes i see her drink all the time.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
clear yeallowish, runny syrupy like, no solids, usually theres a marble sized clump of brown digested crickets. and a trail of orange.
Does she poop every day like this?

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
retarium screen 65 gallon, 16.5in x 30in x 28in
this cage is not tall enough for a full grown chameleon. The recommended size is 24x24x48

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
uvb 5.0, 40 watt incandescant for heat, 12hrs on 12 hhrs off. anywhere from 6am-9am i turn on and then 12 hrs later depending, ill turn off

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
i don't have any way to tell, but based on this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKTbUaOQ0aA
with a 40 watt bulb at an angle, even if it gets above 80 degrees f its only a small portion. in colorado during the fall thru the winter it was a constant 65-70 thru out the day and deffinately droped 10 degress every night. in florida it's in my room in the central ac which is kept at 70-75.
but like i said i have no way of actually measuring this, but its very obvious there are varying degrees of temperatures within the enclosure by her behavior.
You MUST get a way to find out how hot your cage is. For all you know, the bulb could be much hotter than you think and it's overheating your girl. There are cheap, accurate thermometer guns on Amazon that you can get. That should be made a priority

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
even in colorado it was easy keeping humidity at 70% between mistings and 90-100% during and for a few hours after, especially living in a basements and both enclosures had live plants. moving to florida has only made humidity stay at a higher constant.

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
yes, umbrella tree plants

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
the cages have always been in my room behind closed door, a vent 20ft away on the ceiling, and a fan pointing away from the cage to me on my bed at night when i sleep. top of the is about 6ft from the floor, ive always had them on tables, and about about 1ft from the wall.

Location - Where are you geographically located?
they were bred in greeley golorado, and i lived in aurora from the time i bought them in spetember at 6-8 months old. and moved to florida in march of this year 2014.

As I said, there may be other things that more expert people may point out or ask for information on, so sit tight. But those are the main things I see.

I strongly suggest taking your cham to a vet.

dammit alright. : (

if she should be eating more, and theres already crickets in there that she's not eating, i don't assume throwing another ten in there is going to help?

no she didn't always poop like that, it wasn't until the last couple of day of having an empty stomach, before it was always a nice round oversized pea sized brown poop with a little white next to it.

everything else i can take of first thing in the am. im just worried about finding a place that sells stuff other than crickets and super worms.

also, no im not breeding, i was going to but the male has since died, and last time they were together for a mating attempt was october2013

Jacksons actually need less supplementation than what was suggested.

This was copied from the caresheet for Jacksons on the care sheet under resources.
"As a montane species (native to higher altitudes) Jackson's have decreased supplementation requirements compared to tropical species due to metabolism differences. Use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) twice a week, a multivitamin once a month, and calcium with D3 once a month."

You definitely need a way to monitor temp and humidity. Can you take a pic of her to share with us?

A couple of clarifications. If you have not been using a multivitamin at all, you need to start IMMEDIATELY. don't over do it since Jax need less supplements than panthers or veileds. My schedule: plain calcium without d3 3x a week and a multivitamin with d3 on the first of every month. Using most multivitamins every 2 weeks is usually too often for Jax.

As for food quantity, that sounds about right. Jax are much smaller and not the food hogs that larger chameleons can be. In a week, my Jax MIGHT eat 6 crickets, 4 supers, 4 silkworms, and a few miscellaneous other bugs. He will eat about 2/3 that during the winter. I think it's the short days.

Do you have a UVB bulb? I didn't see it in your write. You absolutely MUST have a UVB light if your cham doesn't get outside sun every day. Not having access to UVB causes all sorts of issues, particularly the ability to process calcium, causing a bone deterioration disease called MBD. I've been told that Jax are less susceptible to MDB, but you still must have a UVB bulb.

Have you had her feces checked for parasites by a vet? Sudden decline, appetite changes, undigested bug parts, changes in feces can all be signs of parasites.

i guess in the mean time what i would like to know, is there anything i can put in the water while im misting her( i can get close enough to her while misting now, that she just opens her mouth and lets me drop water) im wondering if theres something i can put in it to build up her nutrients. i thought i read somewhere about people using baby food diluted in water thru an eye dropper. this is kind of what i was looking for, until i can get some variety. im looking aorund localy but theres nothing but crickets supers and wax worms, everything else i can find but i have to have it shipped from some where and im afraid to wait that long, even next day shipping.... : /

Bug juice. You can mash up some crickets in water with a tiny bit of reptivite or another multivitamin and try to drip it into her mouth might get her some nutrients. It will take patience and you'll want to go slow.

Tonight, order some silkworms online (Coastal Silkworms just sent me some perfect sized medium silkworms) and get 2 day shipping. Soft and full of moisture and calcium - they may tempt her into eating.

didn't see new posts, i will go and take a pic right now and try and upload it,

i do have a uvb bulb, i have read that about needing less supliments and that is why im doing what im doing.

like i said im trying to find a supllier for something other than crickets and supers loacaly, but no luck. i'd have to have something shipped to me.

can i possibly go and buy these supplements that ive been lacking, and dilute some in water and carefully drop into her mouth while im misting her? and if so what would be a recomended ratio. brb with pics hopefully.

Thanks for the clarification on my comments, guys. I'm much more knowledgeable in the field of Veilds than in Jax... good data to have.

You'll want to go online to get most of your variety. You can actually pretty easily raise most of your feeders, like silkworms, roaches, snails, etc... Here are two links you can check out:
http://www.backwaterreptiles.com/feeder-insects-for-sale.html
http://www.mulberryfarms.com/

I'm not sure of the best technique as far as feeding from an eye dropper or anything though

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1341.jpg

Just another point that might help you, How old is your UV bulb? If it is the original one from when you bout them in September, then it needs to be replaced, they usually only last about 6 months.
If that's the case try to get her outside in some natural sunlight for a few hours, make sure she has a shaded area she can retreat to and plenty of misting while out there.

yes its the original bulb : / ill hang out outside with her tomarrow for a while, and give her the mists. : ) and then get a new bulb.

Just saw your pictures, she looks gravid. I just had a female that has been by herself for the last 9 months give birth, I assume from sperm retention, she did not eat at all in the week leading up to giving birth. Maybe?

well when i first got them she was brown and maybe not sexually mature and by the time i seperated them in october she had greened up a bit, i was working 9-5 and its possible they mated, i was trying to breed them, and with her ravish apetite and how much bigger she got than the male , let aone hoow big her stomach got i was for sure she was pregnant, but after so much time has gone by and no babies maybe she's just big? whats the avarage time for gestation? is it possible shes still going to give birth? ive read they sort of stop eating right before, so maybe thats it?

i should have taken pic from infront so you could see the belly from a better angle, but it bulges out when shes resting on the branch. she's deffinately big im just unsure if shes naturaly big or pregnant.

also no i havent had any stool samples taken to a vet. its not a great excuse but ive heard horror stories about vets not having a clue, and when i try and fine specialists i can't : /

Back
Top Bottom