Elephant Eared Cham

wicca_bun

I recently acquired a calumma brevicornis, and am having a very hard time finding proper husbandry for her. she is in a glass 18x18x24 enclosure with constant fog. I'm already having to dose her with baytril due to a respiratory infection but I thought her perameters were met. any advice?

• copy and paste then fill it out
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I would recommend posting pictures of your Calumma brevicorne female and glass terrarium. To start I have kept Calumma brevicorne and a 2 foot X 18 inch X 18 inch enclosure is too small for a Calumma brevicorne adult. I recommend going with a minimum of a similar size of enclosure that I would keep a similar sized species Furcifer pardalis of 4 foot X 2 foot X 2 foot. I recommend when using glass terrariums that you have got to have a way to have some good air flow and have got appropriate planting for this species. The air flow is going to prevent against your Calumma brevicorne catching respiratory infections. While an appropriate amount of healthy plants is going to give a natural setting to allow your Calumma brevicorne to acclimate to a captive environment.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
I would recommend posting pictures of your Calumma brevicorne female and glass terrarium. To start I have kept Calumma brevicorne and a 2 foot X 18 inch X 18 inch enclosure is too small for a Calumma brevicorne adult. I recommend going with a minimum of a similar size of enclosure that I would keep a similar sized species Furcifer pardalis of 4 foot X 2 foot X 2 foot. I recommend when using glass terrariums that you have got to have a way to have some good air flow and have got appropriate planting for this species. The air flow is going to prevent against your Calumma brevicorne catching respiratory infections. While an appropriate amount of healthy plants is going to give a natural setting to allow your Calumma brevicorne to acclimate to a captive environment.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
She is still quite young so she fits well in the enclosure for now, I will definitely be getting a bigger one once needed. We are still working on more plants on her tank but she has artificial vines to climb on. I've read that using a warmed fogger could help reduce the chance of respiratory issues. my main concern with putting her somewhere more ventilated is the inability to keep her humidity as high as it needs to be

She is still quite young so she fits well in the enclosure for now, I will definitely be getting a bigger one once needed. We are still working on more plants on her tank but she has artificial vines to climb on. I've read that using a warmed fogger could help reduce the chance of respiratory issues. my main concern with putting her somewhere more ventilated is the inability to keep her humidity as high as it needs to be
Lots in the archives on foggers & fogging.

One solution to that (bolded)—depending on your ambient climate and other factors—is a hybrid rather than all-screen enclosure, and making use of chimney/stack effect for ventilation.

I would go with a terrarium that has top ventilation and some side ventilation to keep the air clean. That amount of screen plus a good amount of live plants is going to keep your humidity high enough for a Calumma brevicorne adult. The main concern is keeping the air of good quality in a terrarium with a good ventilation design (side and top ventilation on your terrarium). Once that is done a good watering schedule with that arrangement should keep humidity high and plus of good air quality. There are other things to consider for your Calumma brevicorne, however that is once you have got a larger terrarium.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom