Electronic Infrared Thermometer

SamW

Hey all,

I'm looking to purchase an electronic infrared thermometer, something I should have gotten by now. I know that my local pet shop offers a few cheap ones, I believed manufactured by Zoodmed and others. Will these suffice my needs, or do I need to step it up to a commercial grade?

Thanks,

Sam

P.S.: Links or specific product information recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Hey all,

I'm looking to purchase an electronic infrared thermometer, something I should have gotten by now. I know that my local pet shop offers a few cheap ones, I believed manufactured by Zoodmed and others. Will these suffice my needs, or do I need to step it up to a commercial grade?

Thanks,

Sam

P.S.: Links or specific product information recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I've used Pro Exotics' temp guns for years. Check the specs on their tempgun.com website to compare it. Don't know what price you are looking at, but they may be very similar. The prices on most of these have come down a lot in recent years probably as the technology has been shared around by now. The temp range you need isn't extreme (a few differences between the "commercial" and consumer grade guns are temp measuring range to hundreds of degrees, ability to get a good measurement farther from the object, accuracy to tenths of a degree, etc).

Hey all,

Thanks,

Sam

you can get one at Home Depot for $40. Works good.

I love, love, LOVE this one I got from reptile basics. http://www.reptilebasics.com/412l-thermometer

It has a larger D:S ratio (12:1 vs 5 or 6 to 1 seen on most others), and keeps track of the max temp in your enclosure while you scan the other areas.

I keep several species of reptiles as well as manage the herpetarium at my college of veterinary medicine and this gun has been invaluable! Great for finding the temperature gradients accurately as well as basking spot temps.

Back
Top Bottom