electrical wiring as vines

What kind of electrical wiring are you talking about? Any metal sticking out can be dangerous so I probably wouldn't recommend it unless you somehow sealed the ends. Be careful.

Last edited:
That is an interesting question. It seems like you would be able to? With the coated wire, a thick gauge. At my old job we would end up with some decent length scrap. The only thing I wouldnt like about it would be the astetics(sp). I am guessing as long as the cham didnt bite into the coating or it didn't have the clear plastic coating that can flake off It would work. I am interested on what others think about this.

Frank

an irishmen said:
thanks to everyone who replyed to this thread this will save me a few bucks.:)

If you are using it for a bunch of cages, its alot more than a few bucks! I highly reccomend it. It works great. While sealing the ends up is a good idea, in my opinion, as long as you cut it nice and square, it will be fine. I have done it for quite a while. You must be careful to get wiring that doesn't have a thin clear coat of plastic on top of it. What I mean is, you obviously wanted coated wire, but some also have a clear coat on top of that. Chameleons can't get a very good grip on that. Just make sure you feel the wire and make sure the chameleon can get a grip on it before you buy it. I am sure they make it without the clear coat on it in other colors, but I have only been able to find it in white, which is just as well because Its easier to tell if their is fecal matter on it. It doesn't look quite as good, but they love it just the same. :) Good luck. Here's some pics of the cham's on the wire. :)

Tessai2.jpg

b927e084.jpg

cd9b786d.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e90/Mantis8944/990b396d.jpg

-Adam
Snail Tail Inc.

I've been pondering the idea of threading rope through some green or brown shrinkwrap and shrinking it down tight. It should take on the texture of the rope (good for grip) while being watertight and easily cleanable as well as asthetically pleasing.

lowendfrequency said:
I've been pondering the idea of threading rope through some green or brown shrinkwrap and shrinking it down tight. It should take on the texture of the rope (good for grip) while being watertight and easily cleanable as well as asthetically pleasing.

Keep in mind that chameleons often have pretty sharp nails which will tear through the shrink wrap.

-Adam.
Snail Tail Inc.

Snail Tail said:
Keep in mind that chameleons often have pretty sharp nails which will tear through the shrink wrap.

-Adam.
Snail Tail Inc.

If you use the electrical "Shrink to Fit" conection sealer, that is pretty thick and a chams claws shouldnt go through it. However they are only about 4 inch's long and it might not be cost effective to do. It would also take you a while to do a decent length.

Frank

I have seen (and I cannot remember where) people using wood, dowels, rope etc., covered in Copper pipe isulation - I don't know the technical term for it - when I worked in HVAC with my uncle, we just called it "black". It's a thick, soft length of black, rubberized insulation, with a slit down the side, so you could just slip it over the copper tubing for AC units. It was pretty cheap, I believe, and available in different sizes. You'd need to wrap it to secure it, but it should work - especially for larger species.

Back
Top Bottom