Eggs?

Lynda2004

Hello my name is Lynda and I’m a new chameleon owner. I have a female veiled Chameleon and she’s 6 months old. She’s hasn’t been eating well and she’s been showing her Yellow, green and blues. She’s been in the bottom of her cage, walking on the screen in the top, so I put her box with play sand and organic potting soil so she can lay her eggs. She’s gotten a little bit chubby but I’m not sure if she’s going to lay eggs or she’s sick. Down below I provided a picture of Pascal.

Attachments

• 096F0C63-2544-482A-BDFC-9E56B8E11195.jpeg
    096F0C63-2544-482A-BDFC-9E56B8E11195.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 0E05381E-1F91-437A-8121-C1F33424DC54.jpeg
    0E05381E-1F91-437A-8121-C1F33424DC54.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 95
Are these all fake plants? I prefer live plants for veileds since they eat their plants fake ones can be an impaction risk. Make sure there is nothing blocking the UVB lighting as well. Otherwise this will reduce levels greatly and she will not get what she needs from the light.

Are these all fake plants? I prefer live plants for veileds since they eat their plants fake ones can be an impaction risk. Make sure there is nothing blocking the UVB lighting as well. Otherwise this will reduce levels greatly and she will not get what she needs from the light.
Yes they are fake, I can’t have real plants right now because I live in apartment but I will move the plants she has on the top.

Yes they are fake, I can’t have real plants right now because I live in apartment but I will move the plants she has on the top.
Yeah if they are attached to the top panel below her lighting they should be removed. On the front door is fine and around the perimeter is fine.

Um so why can you know have live plants in the apartment? If you pot them then it is no different then having them in your home.

So, yes she does look lumpy and is most likely working on some eggs. I’m assuming this is her first egg laying?
How long ago did she start showing her pretty colors and patterns? They will show their pretty colors/patterns and be really restless for about a week or two...that is their receptive phase when they are ready for mating. Anywhere from a few weeks on she’ll lay her eggs. She’ll have kept her colors, but I’ve found their dots become darker when gravid.
Can you post a pic of her from the sides?
How big is the lay bin? What have you filled it with and how deep did you fill it?
Re: the plants...I too don’t understand why you can’t have live plants in an apartment. Female veileds are notorious for plant eating and it’s a high risk that she may try to eat a fake one. Get some pothos...several if needed. They don’t need any special care or grow lights and are safe.

Yeah if they are attached to the top panel below her lighting they should be removed. On the front door is fine and around the perimeter is fine.

Um so why can you know have live plants in the apartment? If you pot them then it is no different then having them in your home.
I’m mom doesn’t really let me have live plants

So, yes she does look lumpy and is most likely working on some eggs. I’m assuming this is her first egg laying?
How long ago did she start showing her pretty colors and patterns? They will show their pretty colors/patterns and be really restless for about a week or two...that is their receptive phase when they are ready for mating. Anywhere from a few weeks on she’ll lay her eggs. She’ll have kept her colors, but I’ve found their dots become darker when gravid.
Can you post a pic of her from the sides?
How big is the lay bin? What have you filled it with and how deep did you fill it?
Re: the plants...I too don’t understand why you can’t have live plants in an apartment. Female veileds are notorious for plant eating and it’s a high risk that she may try to eat a fake one. Get some pothos...several if needed. They don’t need any special care or grow lights and are safe.
She started showing color 2-3 weeks ago, and my mom doesn’t really want real plants but I will try to get her real plants. She had organic potting soil and play sand. 8 inch tall and 7 wide.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 73
Don’t know how involved with your cham that your mom is, but the plants are for your cham...not for you. ;) If you can talk her into a pothos, get the biggest/bushiest one you can find. Strangely, I had some trouble finding a simple pothos at Walmart. The only pothos they had was planted around a mass cane plant, which is also a safe plant.;););)

Don’t know how involved with your cham that your mom is, but the plants are for your cham...not for you. ;) If you can talk her into a pothos, get the biggest/bushiest one you can find. Strangely, I had some trouble finding a simple pothos at Walmart. The only pothos they had was planted around a mass cane plant, which is also a safe plant.;););)
Okay! Thank you so much. I’m just 16 so she helps me with my Cham and getting her things. But I will get her live plants

She started showing color 2-3 weeks ago, and my mom doesn’t really want real plants but I will try to get her real plants. She had organic potting soil and play sand. 8 inch tall and 7 wide.

Attachments

• F779C64B-F951-4CC4-8C19-06C9674B803E.jpeg
    F779C64B-F951-4CC4-8C19-06C9674B803E.jpeg
    226.2 KB · Views: 61
Okay! Thank you so much. I’m just 16 so she helps me with my Cham and getting her things. But I will get her live plants
Explain to her that female Veileds eat their plants so if she is eating the fake ones this means a very expensive vet trip due to her becoming impacted and not being able to pass the fake plants. Much cheaper for mom and healthier for the cham in the end to go with live. :)

Explain to her that female Veileds eat their plants so if she is eating the fake ones this means a very expensive vet trip due to her becoming impacted and not being able to pass the fake plants. Much cheaper for mom and healthier for the cham in the end to go with live. :)
What plants do you recommend?

I have never seen her eating her plants but I will get real ones, how do I get them to last?

I have never seen her eating her plants but I will get real ones, how do I get them to last?
Pothos will be your best bet as they thrive in all conditions. You just get a nice full one with long vines. Then weave these up through the branches. Put 1 inch or larger rock on the top of the soil so she does not eat the soil. And that is it. :)

Philodendron is very similar to pothos and both do very well with minimal light and are forgiving of over/under watering.
Each cham is different, but I believe that when she starts showing her dots, she’ll be very close to laying. I haven’t quite figured out the ‘normal’ time frame from receptive to laying. My 1st lady/cham I got only about a month before he receptive phase and her husbandry was awful before me and before I found the forum. She laid only about 3 weeks after being receptive. Now that I limit food and temps, the time between is seeming to be 2-3 months. It isn’t a bad idea to get a small kitchen scale that measures grams and keep track of weights. While I’m still figuring out time, I do know when she reaches 100 Gm she’s close to laying.

Back
Top Bottom