Eggs keep being infertile...

erik775

Established Member
So I tried breeding my Sambavas twice already and both times the eggs were infertile one was a clutch of 16 and the one after was a clutch of 26 that are incubating rite now but alot of them are fuzzing up.I know my female is nice and healthy but my male on the other had is a little on the older side about 4 years old...what do you guys think it could be?also I think the vermiculite I'm using is a bit old.I'm not too sure if vermiculite expires or not .could the eggs fuzz up for any other reasons other than being infertile?:(:confused:

vermiculite is a rock/mineral type thing- doesn't expire.

Only experience help I can offer is that one time in the latter 90s I switched off of reptivite with vit a onto herptivite with only beat cerotene and ended up with many many clutches of infertile eggs from many females shortly thereafter- ruined a year's worth of eggs.

I always blamed the lack of vit. a.

But now I've met forum members who have successfully hatched without the vit a, so I don't know what to think. I do know that switching off reptivite was the problem for me- switched back on and fixed it.

Have no idea if your problem is similar.

vermiculite is a rock/mineral type thing- doesn't expire.

Only experience help I can offer is that one time in the latter 90s I switched off of reptivite with vit a onto herptivite with only beat cerotene and ended up with many many clutches of infertile eggs from many females shortly thereafter- ruined a year's worth of eggs.

I always blamed the lack of vit. a.

But now I've met forum members who have successfully hatched without the vit a, so I don't know what to think. I do know that switching off reptivite was the problem for me- switched back on and fixed it.

Have no idea if your problem is similar.

I don't think I use too much vitamin a I use plain calcium every feeding and repashy calcium plus like twice a month doesn't the RCP have vitamin a in it?

And you're sure that your vermiculite isn't too wet? They could be fine but rotting in excessive moisture, perhaps?

And you're sure that your vermiculite isn't too wet? They could be fine but rotting in excessive moisture, perhaps?

When I wet the vermiculite I drained it and I also squeezed it with my hand by the hand full until only about one drop of water fell from the hand full I was squeezing...the walls of the container are really humid ...I had to get rid of most of the eggs already cuz they fuzzed up on me...:( ...

I would look at your vermiculite. If you have mold spores in there and too much moisture it might be best to go ahead and replace it to be safe. As for your males age I had a 6 year old male that sired clutches for me without a problem.

Back
Top Bottom