eggs hatching in the wild?

romulan

I was wondering how hatchlings survived in the wild if females bury their clutches at least 8 inches below the ground? Do the babies know how to dig their way out by instinct or how does this work? Seems like they would suffocate. Is this where survival of the fittest comes into play?

This pertains to other egg laying reptile species as well

I was actually thinking of this the other day. Hopefully we get a response sooon:) seems like breeders dig the eggs up and incubate? So it may be who can make it.out!

They do.

I dont know of one single breeder who leaves the eggs in the dirt.

I dug mine up and put them in a bin with vermiculite just on top of it.

One more reason to add them to a list of "Most Amazing Animals"... for being so tiny and fragile when born, how do they get up through the dirt before they suffocate??

I thought they ment a camera pointed at the spot where the babies would dig themseleves up from. So you just see a bunch of babies climbing out of the ground.

I thought they ment a camera pointed at the spot where the babies would dig themseleves up from. So you just see a bunch of babies climbing out of the ground.

It would be like zombie chameleons coming out of the ground lol.

There was a PBS Show about 13 years ago that actually showed some i believe Common chameleon eggs that were being laid and then with time laps they showed babies hatching and then climbing out of the ground it was very interesting I wish I knew the name of it. At the time I recorded it on a VCR ( for those of you to young to know a video cassette recorder ;) ) and now a days I dont think I could find a VCR to even play it if I found the video. Any way it was awesome to think how smart those little guys knew which way was up and where to go. It explained that the hatchlings feel the heat radiating from the sun shining on the surface and dig that way.

Back
Top Bottom