:(...eggbound..please help..

Keeneye

I have a female panther who is eggbound..... she is rapidly declining and I want to do anything I can for her before I make the decision to euthanize:(..... she dug within the proper time frame to lay but came back up without laying. She did this several times in a 5 day period. She is a shy girl so we gave her complete privacy . She has laid in the same medium with the same moisture level in the past without any trouble.... X rays at the vet show zero signs of a calcium deficiancy or MBD.... She was given 3 doses of oxytocin without any result.... The vet said the eggs may just be too large for her to pass....:(....
She is still eating and drinking in small amounts but her pads are completely sunken in and her eyes are sunken in also . We are now syringing her water... She is beginning to sleep for periods of the day. It's unlikely she would survive surgery at this point... I don't know what to do to help her and I don't want to throw in the towel but also don't want her to suffer. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Oh I am so sorry to hear that ! :(
I think in this case the only help could be a surgery, remove the eggs and spay her.
The same thing happened to my veiled girl: she was too tiny for her eggs and layed 11 but stopped after. She got 4 oxitocin shots but didn't help. She ate and drank as everything was all right. But she didn't make it.
How long was she in the bin? Since How many days is she in this condition?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - ambilobe panther , female, in my care for 2 years
Handling - handled on occasion for cage cleaning and to transport to outdoor enclosure
Feeding - crickets gutted on fresh fruits and vegetables only, silkworms, horn worms and occasionally superworms
Supplements - calcium w/o d3 daily, with d3 and multivitamin 2x a month and liquid calcium during 2x a week when gravid
Watering - misted for 3 minutes every 2 hours during daylight hours
Fecal Description - normal

Cage Info:
Cage Type - custom screen 32×20×20
Lighting - UV bulb and 60 watt heat, regular exposure to outdoor sunlight ... lights on 12 hours ... off 12 hours
Temperature - ambient-74... basking-84. Nighttime lows around 71
Humidity - humidity 68 percent measured with hygrometer
Plants - both artificial and live pathos plants
Placement - cage is placed in a windowsill not near any vents or fans
Location - florida

Current Problem - egg binding Not due to lack of calcium or MBD with zero results with oxytocin medical therapy

We have a laying bin in her cage at all times but she made an effort to dig/lay for 5 days... that's started about 10 days ago.... now we have her in a garbage can full of moist medium with branches and lights just hoping she may try to dig again...but she is just fading on us:(

Possible Solution

You NEED to make sure she is VERY well hydrated so keep her in a very Wet environment with about 10 inches (or more) of soil and 1 live plant in a garbage can with all her lights. Try massagig her where her eggs are bound so she can have some help laying them Hope this helps:D, wrote it in a hurry!

Last edited:
I would not massage the area. If one of the eggs breaks you can have a serious issue with the fluids in her system.

Unfortunately, even though she may not be up for surgery, that may be the only solution. I hope she makes it through this and is feeling better soon.

Back
Top Bottom