eggbound dying

maurice5

i have a female veiled chameleon for about one year now and she is 1 year old, she already layed eggs 1 time but now is the second time but she is on the edge of dying, she doesn't move she is weak, cant hold on to things and doesn't eat for the last week, she now really needs to lay eggs, but she isn't doing it, she is in the sand so i dont know whats wrong with her, she is already turning brown/black i dont think she is going to make it, please give me some advice asap because i am really worried :(

You need to take her to the vet ASAP. If she is bound, the vet will have to help her either pass them or surgically remove them.

i cant, from where i live its 21:17 thats already too late and i live in the Netherlands and in the Netherlands there is carnival now (a holiday) so all the vets are closed:(

Immediate vet assistance is the only thing that may help at this point. I'm sorry your little girl is going through this :(

i hope she makes it thrugh the night, she already looses the brown/black colour a little bit but she still breathes really slowly and not good and she still does not move, and we unfortunely cant spend the money for an operation:(

It sounds like she needs medical intervention or is not gong to make it. I am sorry and hope that if she cannot lay that she will not linger on.

she is out of her pain, i found her dead in the sand that i have set up for her:(
i am going to burry her this evening

day of birth: 1-9-2012
day of death:4-3-2014

Oh my... I am so sorry! :( It is always a terrible news when anyone's cham dies..
Do you know what happened? Eggbound?
Take my condolenses!

thank you all, that you were taking the time to help my and give my some support, im am really gratefull for that

At the risk of coming across as insensitive, I'll tell you what i did with one of my female chams in the same situation. I had given her to a friend as a gift when she was a hatchling. He worked at a reptile breeding facility and was a very experienced reptile keeper. Unfortunately chams weren't among his area of expertise. He gave her back to me recently along with the little male I had also given him. She was gravid and both of them had MDB (he claimed he was dusting the crickets but not gut loading and he had the wrong light). He said he didn't even know she was gravid but she had eggs poking out between her ribs, it was hard to miss. Sadly, she didn't make it, but I decided to do a necropsy and remove the eggs so that at least her babies could live on. The eggs look good and have recently come out of diapause. As hard as it was to open her up, her loss didn't end up being the loss of 43 unborn babies. Im not being critical of how you handled the passing your girl, i just wanted to pass on a viable option you may want to consider if it were to happen again.

so you are actually saying that i act like i dont care, i do care a lot about it, there was no male, so it were only the eggs no hatchlings, why do you think i dont care about it

At the risk of coming across as insensitive, I'll tell you what i did with one of my female chams in the same situation. I had given her to a friend as a gift when she was a hatchling. He worked at a reptile breeding facility and was a very experienced reptile keeper. Unfortunately chams weren't among his area of expertise. He gave her back to me recently along with the little male I had also given him. She was gravid and both of them had MDB (he claimed he was dusting the crickets but not gut loading and he had the wrong light). He said he didn't even know she was gravid but she had eggs poking out between her ribs, it was hard to miss. Sadly, she didn't make it, but I decided to do a necropsy and remove the eggs so that at least her babies could live on. The eggs look good and have recently come out of diapause. As hard as it was to open her up, her loss didn't end up being the loss of 43 unborn babies. Im not being critical of how you handled the passing your girl, i just wanted to pass on a viable option you may want to consider if it were to happen again.

I read this whole post I don't see anywhere that it says you don't care. I'm very sorry for your loss but please don't take things to personally or read tone in posts. Idk if I could have cut open my Cham but I do applaud you for saving those babies.

oh i get what he means (i am dutch so i didn't understand it the good way)
there wasn't a male so it was not needed to cut the belly open and take the eggs out, if there was i male too i would have done that but that was in this situation not so it was no needed, sorry that i mistaked with understanding:(

yes i get it now, i should have thought further before reacting, i feel really stupid now

Don't feel stupid, I'm sure your emotional right now. As any of us would be after losing one of our pets. Sometimes it's easy to read tone in to posts. I always try to read a post as if I were reading newspaper and keep emotions out of the equation. Again very sorry for your lose

Back
Top Bottom