Egg tray success!

What are the size of the actual neonates in comparison to your typical panther hatchling? You said the eggs were smaller and hatched quicker. Were the neonates correspondingly smaller or "normal" sized? Thanks for sharing!

That's because eggs incubated on vermiculite can absorb extra water directly from the medium, whereas with the egg trays they only get moisture from the air. That's why many years ago I switched to mostly dry perlite with standing water on the bottom of the container. And I don't nest them in the substrate, just placed right on top. Same concept.

Here's what I've noticed about hatch rates with over hydrated eggs.....They are usually lower. I surmise that with all the water in the shell, if it doesn't sweat enough water out, the baby chameleon may not be able to even touch the shell with enough pressure to pip it. So, that is what I assume is happening when and egg sweats but fails to pip and you find a dead neonate inside. Just a theory I've had for a long time.

Thanks for the post, I'll be trying out the trays on my next clutch.

Wow! That makes absolutely perfect sense! Thanks and I wish you luck on your next clutch!

What are the size of the actual neonates in comparison to your typical panther hatchling? You said the eggs were smaller and hatched quicker. Were the neonates correspondingly smaller or "normal" sized? Thanks for sharing!

I did make a comment earlier that there is no noticeable difference in the size of the neonates.

Only one has hatched from the verm container with 3 more eggs having pipped since yesterday morning. Another 20+ to go. [emoji79]

I'm wondering if keeping them at a constant 65-70F for the incubation duration would allow enough moisture in the air without a supplemental heating source, being that this is how I incubate my eggs.

I'm wondering if keeping them at a constant 65-70F for the incubation duration would allow enough moisture in the air without a supplemental heating source, being that this is how I incubate my eggs.

FWIW, that is close to the same temps as I incubate my montanes, just slightly cooler. I don't anticipate any issues.

I did make a comment earlier that there is no noticeable difference in the size of the neonates.

Only one has hatched from the verm container with 3 more eggs having pipped since yesterday morning. Another 20+ to go. [emoji79]

Sorry, about that, I missed that comment. :eek: Thanks again for sharing.

I am going to try to get some of these. It would be great not to have to fret over the moisture content of the vermiculite all the time!

So how big of holes are you putting in the top of the lids? Are you using a small needle or what? I just ordered a bunch of these. I'm very excited to try these out.

Back
Top Bottom