Egg-laying

jaidynwhitworth

Hi, my girl has not been mated but is laying her normal clutch of eggs. She has however been laying them one at a time just sort of dropping them from a high branch regardless of the lay bin I provided for her. She started digging today but did not lay the rest. Should I be concerned? She laid her first egg three days ago. Her eyes don’t look sunken in or anything and she seems fine to me otherwise but don’t they normally lay the whole clutch at once?

If this is her first clutch I wouldn't be too concerned. Sometimes they don't get it right 100% :). A starter hole can be used to help with the idea of digging.

If this is her first clutch I wouldn't be too concerned. Sometimes they don't get it right 100% :). A starter hole can be used to help with the idea of digging.

It might be her first clutch but I’m not totally sure because she’s a rescue and we didn’t have her age, it’s her first one since I’ve had her though. Shes dug pretty deep today (flung dirt all over my room lol!) just hasn’t laid any more yet. But I’m feeling ok since she looks and is acting normal and has at least lain some, I’m just a bit of a paranoid chameleon mom lol.

It is a good sign that she is digging! Make sure to give her lots of privacy so she doesn't abandon the effort.

Back
Top Bottom