Egg laying

Jdfreedkin

Okay, so I know I am probably just being paranoid , but my female veiled has been carrying eggs for at least two months. We took her to the vet a while back, because of a burn on her back (it's been treated and is healing great!) and the vet told us that we shouldn't worry about her becoming egg bound, because she'll definetly show symptoms. She's still eating, drinking and pooping. I've tried he trick of putting them in a trash can to get them to lay out of boredom , but she just sits there for however long she's in there and does nothing. My question is, should I be worried that she's had these eggs for so long, but she still won't lay?

I would recommend that you set up an egglaying container in her cage..opaque and at least 12" deep by 12" x 8"... Filled with washed moist playsand. This way she always has a place to dig to show you when she's ready to lay the eggs. When she's digging...do not let her see you watching her. It usually makes the female abandon the hole and if it happens often enough it can lead to eggbinding.

Although they somehow signs of being eggbound ( lethargy, sitting low in the cage, eyes shut during the day, phantom laying) by the time you notice them it's usually too late to save her with surgery.

Please post a couple of recent photos of her and answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread at the top of the health forum.

Last edited:
I would recommend that you set up an egglaying CO rained in her cage..opaque and at least 12" deep by 12" x 8"... Filled with washed moist playsand. This way she always has a place to dig to show you when she's ready to lay the eggs. When she's digging...do not let her see you watching her. It usually makes the female abandon the hole and if it happens often enough it can lead to eggbinding.

Although they somehow signs of being eggbound ( lethargy, sitting low in the cage, eyes shut during the day, phantom laying) by the time you notice them it's usually too late to save her with surgery.

Please post a couple of recent photos of her and answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread at the top of the health forum.
She already has a laying bin in her cage, fills with a mix of play sand and eco earth (because the sand was a bit heavy) she also has a dark old sheet wrapped around her cage, and I haven't tried to handle her recently. The photo was a few weeks ago when she was in molt .

Attachments

• IMG_2371.JPG
    IMG_2371.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 96
Back
Top Bottom