egg laying question

fabos

my female is currently developing her 2nd clutch from being bred on 2-7-07. her first clutch she laid on 4-8-07, on 5-30-07 she quit eating and on 6-1-07 she started to dig.

half way through digging into her laying container she gave up and seems to not have the strength to finish digging. well its now the june 3rd and she hasnt finished digging a hole and She is so full of eggs you can see them bulging through her skin!

my problem is that she doesnt seem to try to dig cuz it seems she is lacking the strength to do so. her first clutch she laid without trouble.

on thing that is worrying me is that when she goes to bed at night she is in the Ficus plant but she i wake her she is sleeping on the sand but as soon as the light turns on she is looking up at me. she currently isnt eating but is drinking tons on water.

she is a female Panther
cage size is 2feet by 2feet by 3 1/2 feet custom screen cage
problem is: quit digging, wont eat, and wont lay
Reason for posting a question about this is to see if anyone knows any way to help her lay.

i know everyone will say go take her to the vet but here is the deal. my vet is out of town untill Friday, the only other one that is close didnt do jack crap for me when my flapnecks were sick a while back. so i dont trust him. but ed and liddy of chameleonsonly told me a while back about a really good one near them and i might make that drive tomorrow (monday) if i can get the gas money form someone.

thanks for helping
Matt Fabos

I think you should take her to the vet. Sorry for saying the obvious and what you didn't want to hear....but there aren't any other real options if she is eggbound....and you won't likely have much time to do it.

Just wondering....did she see you watching her when she was digging the hole?
How many eggs did she lay the last time?

Until you can get her to the vet (which of course you know is your best, and only, option) try tunneling out a hole that is about the length of her body and put her in it. I just had to do this for one of my female veileds who started digging yesterday morning and this afternoon had made no progress. She kept digging shallow holes and covering them up. I know she wasn't spooked by me cause I had her in an empty room and kept an eye on her with a baby monitor that has a camera. She was lying in the shallow hole that she had made, exhausted. I picked her up.. made about a 6 inch deep tunnel and put her in it. 3 hours later.. 27 eggs and a hungry little girl!

Not saying that this will work.. and usually I don't believe in intervening with my chameleons' natural progression of events.. but this girl was just too tired to keep going and it worked for her and is totally worth a try.

Just wondering....did she see you watching her when she was digging the hole?
How many eggs did she lay the last time?

NO i was working when she dug the hole and i keep the room locked so nobody would bother her because i knew that she was getting close to laying.

also she laid 26 eggs and this was her first clutch ever.

Until you can get her to the vet (which of course you know is your best, and only, option) try tunneling out a hole that is about the length of her body and put her in it. I just had to do this for one of my female veileds who started digging yesterday morning and this afternoon had made no progress. She kept digging shallow holes and covering them up. I know she wasn't spooked by me cause I had her in an empty room and kept an eye on her with a baby monitor that has a camera. She was lying in the shallow hole that she had made, exhausted. I picked her up.. made about a 6 inch deep tunnel and put her in it. 3 hours later.. 27 eggs and a hungry little girl!

Not saying that this will work.. and usually I don't believe in intervening with my chameleons' natural progression of events.. but this girl was just too tired to keep going and it worked for her and is totally worth a try.

ill have to try this tonight when i get off work, her hold she dug was bout 4 inches deep but the pot has about 10 inches and last clutch she went all 10 and then about 2 inches sideways. so ill give this a shot.

Thanks again everyone!

Update...

i just got home from the vet. the situation is worse then i thought! we took an Xray looking for eggs. found only one. the one that we did find we believe was from her last clutch that was laid on 4-8-07. evidently the one that was left behind POPED. she has a belly full of fluids, which isnt good as many knows. the vet was very helpful and gave me a Medicine that were hoping will do the trick, i have to give her 1 dose a day for 2 weeks.

ill keep everyone posted

It sounds like its a good thing you took her. I hope she will be okay!
What meds did he give her? Did he drain it at all or send a sample for culture?
Keep us posted please!

It sounds like its a good thing you took her. I hope she will be okay!
What meds did he give her? Did he drain it at all or send a sample for culture?
Keep us posted please!

sorry i didnt see this question rite away! i am currently at work so im not sure the name of te Meds that i was given but ill respond back to that later tonight. he didnt drain anything out of her but he was certain of whats wrong.

Update as of today.

Terra was given her second dose of the meds and seems to be getting a bit more active, 2 days ago she wouldnt move around much. but i spent 3 hours in the room today and noticed her eyes werent as sucked in, also were open the entire time and she walked around the cage.

id also like to add that she really doesnt like the taste of the meds because she drinks like there is no tomorrow after i give them to her...

A lot of the meds are hard on the kidneys...so its likely a good thing that she is drinking well.

I hope she will be okay. She sounds like she's doing better already!

Back
Top Bottom