Egg laying bin starting to smell

msjulee

This will be Lucy's second egg laying. I'm assuming she'll do about what she did last time. Stop eating about two weeks before she lays them. There's just one problem. I put her laying bin in the bottom (last time I tried coconut shreds, then coconut shreds with soil, then sand which she much preferred). With the bin sitting in the bottom of her cage for more than just a few days, it has started to smell musty or moldy. I have a new bag of sand, but it is all purpose sand with a Hazard warning (even though it says it's for pet and playground use). Should I switch it out or will the smelly sand be ok?

Do you have access to get more of the sand that was in the bin? Good practice is if it smells then it's time to change and clean. Bacteria and mold can start way before you initially smell the stank. I'd recommend swapping it out with the sand she likes and that's safe and cleaning it. Would you want to lay your eggs in a box of stink? Sometimes asking ourselves what we would want in the shoes of our animals.

Thank you. I was hoping to avoid that since I already have two bags of sand I can't use and I'm a very small older woman who can't handle a heavy bag of sand on my own. I'll have to figure it out. Where there's a will there's a way!

Thanks, but Lucy and I have already been through this once. I'm just concerned with the moist sand getting smelly before she actually lays the eggs. She's slow about it!

Back
Top Bottom