Egg laying and bin issues

Click4

Hello! Looking for advice on some potential laying issues we are having. I'm unsure of exact age on our girl, but my guess is at least 9-10 months old, maybe closer to 1 year(would love insight if anyone could give a better guess). We have only had her a little over 2 months and this would be her first (Infertile) clutch. She has previously been a great eater and things have been great for her. I had noticed she had less enthusiasm for eating but was still eating. The end of last week my son mentioned he had seen her sitting on the bottom of her cage and the next day I found her on the bottom where she had clearly been busy digging away at the bottom of her cage. I promptly put a laying bin in-although I realize a little on the small side. Maybe 8x8x6, but it was what I could get to fit in there's to get her something, and I have read posts where they were happy in buckets and such. We covered her up and have left her to it for the next several days, however it does not appears he has even tried to go in the bin. I then came home yesterday and found her squished between the glass and the bin and appears to have been digging away in the same corner again on the floor of her cage. She was not sleeping but just sitting there so I immediately panicked, and tried to prode her out of the tight area. She did climb out and to my relief even ended up claiming out of her cage. She has been more interesting in climbing out of the cage and being out lately, where she has previously been sometimes in the mood, but usually doesn't initate getting out unless she's in the mood. We then left her out and proceeded to get a big external bin set up for her. When I tried to put her in she clung to my hand for dear life and even scratched my hand from holding on so tight. She did not seem remotely interested in getting in the dirt! I got her in on a branch and left here there for a bit but it was close to her bed time so after an hour when she had not appeared to have even moved I put out her back in her cage. We also filled the bin her her cage more so it is pretty much level with the sides, and I put a tiny bit of coconut shred on top since she seems happy to dig in that hoping it it encourage her to try it. Both bin have plants and sticks in them as well as starter holes. I have read literally dozens of posts on this subject, and am terrified of a bad outcome!
My question: I felt so bad stuffing her in the bin she seemed to hate so much, but do I keep trying her in it? Given how she reacted I tried to make the one in her cage more inviting, but I know it's small. My husband was planning to check her shortly, and we thought if she did not appear to have done anything he would move her to the big bin for the rest of the day. Is this the best approach? I have read they can behave like this sometimes for several weeks or just days, so I'm not sure if she's just taking her time, and not quite ready or if I should be concerned. She has not shown any signs of distress and I have been extremely cautious watching for signs. I really feel like I'm doing what I should from everything I've read, but any experienced insight on this is welcome! If there is something different I should be doing I would love to hear. I'm hoping someone can tell me I'm overly worried and things are going fine. Pics attached that were taken yesterday while she was out of her cage.
image.jpeg I should add bins have 50/50 damp playsand and organic soil. Since she hasn't seemed to even touch it (although I can't be certain) I'm less inclined to believe it is just not to her liking.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    211 KB · Views: 132
Hello! Looking for advice on some potential laying issues we are having. I'm unsure of exact age on our girl, but my guess is at least 9-10 months old, maybe closer to 1 year(would love insight if anyone could give a better guess). We have only had her a little over 2 months and this would be her first (Infertile) clutch. She has previously been a great eater and things have been great for her. I had noticed she had less enthusiasm for eating but was still eating. The end of last week my son mentioned he had seen her sitting on the bottom of her cage and the next day I found her on the bottom where she had clearly been busy digging away at the bottom of her cage. I promptly put a laying bin in-although I realize a little on the small side. Maybe 8x8x6, but it was what I could get to fit in there's to get her something, and I have read posts where they were happy in buckets and such. We covered her up and have left her to it for the next several days, however it does not appears he has even tried to go in the bin. I then came home yesterday and found her squished between the glass and the bin and appears to have been digging away in the same corner again on the floor of her cage. She was not sleeping but just sitting there so I immediately panicked, and tried to prode her out of the tight area. She did climb out and to my relief even ended up claiming out of her cage. She has been more interesting in climbing out of the cage and being out lately, where she has previously been sometimes in the mood, but usually doesn't initate getting out unless she's in the mood. We then left her out and proceeded to get a big external bin set up for her. When I tried to put her in she clung to my hand for dear life and even scratched my hand from holding on so tight. She did not seem remotely interested in getting in the dirt! I got her in on a branch and left here there for a bit but it was close to her bed time so after an hour when she had not appeared to have even moved I put out her back in her cage. We also filled the bin her her cage more so it is pretty much level with the sides, and I put a tiny bit of coconut shred on top since she seems happy to dig in that hoping it it encourage her to try it. Both bin have plants and sticks in them as well as starter holes. I have read literally dozens of posts on this subject, and am terrified of a bad outcome!
My question: I felt so bad stuffing her in the bin she seemed to hate so much, but do I keep trying her in it? Given how she reacted I tried to make the one in her cage more inviting, but I know it's small. My husband was planning to check her shortly, and we thought if she did not appear to have done anything he would move her to the big bin for the rest of the day. Is this the best approach? I have read they can behave like this sometimes for several weeks or just days, so I'm not sure if she's just taking her time, and not quite ready or if I should be concerned. She has not shown any signs of distress and I have been extremely cautious watching for signs. I really feel like I'm doing what I should from everything I've read, but any experienced insight on this is welcome! If there is something different I should be doing I would love to hear. I'm hoping someone can tell me I'm overly worried and things are going fine. Pics attached that were taken yesterday while she was out of her cage.
View attachment 165166 I should add bins have 50/50 damp playsand and organic soil. Since she hasn't seemed to even touch it (although I can't be certain) I'm less inclined to believe it is just not to her liking.
Cover her enclosure with dark towels. Ours must be twins, they look the same and mines been doing the same thing. Give her privacy tonight and see how she is tomorrow

I also had success with laying eggs in a 10×10×10 Bin. Also recommend plenti of privacy. I use peat moss and play sand 4 to 1 ratio

I also had success with laying eggs in a 10×10×10 Bin. Also recommend plenti of privacy. I use peat moss and play sand 4 to 1 ratio
She has been covered for the last 5-6 days. How long has yours been acting like this? It's so frustrating, and I want to be sure I'm doing all the right things!

Mine took about a couple of weeks to finally lay her eggs. Also I noticed that she did not like her initials laying setups. So I changed it twice before she finally laid. She would go down to the bucket dig and not lay her eggs on many occasions. Finally I change to peat moss and sand in that night she had 24 eggs took about 12 hours. Hope this helps you if you have anymore questions that I can answer or help

Attachments

• 20160820_165609.jpg
    1,011.1 KB · Views: 111
Mine took about a couple of weeks to finally lay her eggs. Also I noticed that she did not like her initials laying setups. So I changed it twice before she finally laid. She would go down to the bucket dig and not lay her eggs on many occasions. Finally I change to peat moss and sand in that night she had 24 eggs took about 12 hours. Hope this helps you if you have anymore questions that I can answer or help
Thank you! Yes this helps! I think I just need to be a little more patient, but when you're worried it's so hard! :)

What is the best substrate combination to place in a laying bin? If I place it in the bottom of her cage, is that sufficient? Or, should I place her in the covered bin outside her cage?

What is the best substrate combination to place in a laying bin? If I place it in the bottom of her cage, is that sufficient? Or, should I place her in the covered bin outside her cage?

This thread is nearly 3 years old. Forum etiquette is to make your own thread for your question instead of digging up ancient ones like this, the participants of which are often no longer even active members.

Back
Top Bottom