Egg Help

Can you see some of the embryo in that third picture? How long have they been incubating, temps etc? Any major temp spikes or drops? WC, CB chameleon?

One is WC and one is CB. I couldn't see any embryo before the denting, though the egg looked healthy before it dented in like this. I'm planning on cutting it open, but am still holding out for something....though I know it's dead. I am curious to see what's going on with this one. It was the smallest egg in the clutch, but looked calcified and "healthy." I hate to admit it, but I'm afraid to cut it open because of some hope that something will happen and it will hatch.

they can go threw a long diapause and take up to 12 months to hatch. I would just keep the humidity 85% or higher so no more will dent and spray the ones that look like they are about to hatch the temp is good .

I went ahead and cut the shriveled egg open last night. I'm sure it was dead. It started sweating and shrinking on the 5th and continued to dent in, discolor, and eventually look like a raisin. I found a fully formed neonate that was not alive. It was the smallest egg, so I'm guessing the baby wasn't strong enough to survive. I'm not quite sure.

eggopen.jpg

I'm really hoping...crossing all my fingers that the rest of the eggs make it. At least 8 of them look strong and healthy. The one that looks almost totally "windowed" is starting to get a little pink discoloration at the tip. This is what happened to the egg that shriveled up. I hope this is not a sign of it doing what that egg did. I can definitely tell there is a formed baby in it. The other eggs have sweat and shrank, showing little windows, but nothing yet.........

Thanks man. :) I did lightly mist them, but I really don't think it was a humidity problem. All the other eggs didn't look like or do this. I'm using hatchrite and have steadily added water throughout the months. I don't want to over hydrate them. This egg was hell to open...very very tough. This might be because it was dead, but I hope the others are able to get out. Have you seen sweating and shrinking happen for days before they pip before? I wish there were more photos of eggs on here right before they pip. I think I've looked at every egg picture on the forum, lol!

If I remember correctly I think all of mine started pipping and then hatched within 3 days of starting to show any signs of a star pattern on the egg. I think it was about 10-14 days from the time the first egg hatched until the last one had emerged.

Hey Kevin, Jared was asking about spikes or drops in temp with this batch of eggs. I am curious about this also. The last clutch that I told you about had both with a spike to 85 and a drop to 64 during the last 3 weeks before starting to sweat and I lost all of them. Not to be a downer but I would be curious if that was what caused them to not make it. I assumed it was because it was a retained 3rd clutch. I hope yours do make it.

Thanks for the reply guys. As far as I know, there's been no drastic temperature drops or jumps. I've kept the incubator temps very steady.

Thanks for kind words man. :) The other eggs are too white to tell. They have small "windows" but the one other egg has a huge "window" where I can see the darkness of the embryo. We're pushing to that 7 day mark after sweating and shrinking, so I'm really hoping they come out by the weekend. Thank you for input and words!

I am wondering if they might be a little premature. The one in the pic looks well formed but it could still be possible its a bit too early. I had the same thing happen with my first clutch of Kinyongia tavetana eggs. The reason they started hatching was because I put the eggs in a smaller container since they dont have a lot of eggs. The medium kept drying quicker than in a larger container so I would add water as necessary which triggered some to start sweating. After I opened them up there was 3/4 formed embryos in there. Luckily half of them did not start to sweat and eventually hatched. Adding water, especially toward the end, can cause the eggs to think the it is time to hatch because of the season.

Just another thought. Its really hard to tell. I hope the rest come out ok for you.

Are all of you eggs sweating? If not you can try transfering the ones that are into a different container with an incubating medium and then not adding any more water or misting the eggs that are not sweating. If it is a case where something triggered some to start hatching early then this might help to save the rest.

That's a really good idea Jared. Thanks man. I actually was thinking that misting them could possibly trigger an early hatch. All of the healthy eggs have either finished sweating or started sweating except for one. I really appreciate your and everyone else's input here. I'm hoping for the one with the big window to hatch by tomorrow. If not, I will transfer the other egg that isn't sweating out. That's a really good idea. I'm hoping I'm just freaking out because that first egg went bad, and these ones are just taking a little longer to hatch instead of the one day sweat and next day hatch.

Poor little baby, what a shame. I'm really hoping that everyone else hatches out healthy and soon!

Thank you Olimpia. :) I really think I'm freaking out because that first egg went bad. I have a feeling that the rest are going to come out fine. I just hope my feeling is right.

Egg hatching is stressful!!

Unfortunately, none of the eggs have hatched over the weekend. I'm starting to worry that the other eggs will follow suit as the egg that went bad. The egg with large windows is starting to discolor on the end. It looks like it is getting a yellowish color to it. Has anybody noticed eggs discoloring on the ends before hatching? Also, for those that have intervened on eggs and slit them yourselves, how do you judge when to go about doing this?

I really appreciate all the previous help and any responses. Thanks all.

What kind of container are you using for the eggs? I noticed that the clutch I had in a large GLAD box had the same result as what you are seeing now. Eggs sweating, shrinking, then dying. The other 2 previous clutches that had nearly all eggs hatch out were in a rubbermaid container that was much thicker plastic and about 3 times the cost (still only $13) of the cheaper thin plastic Glad boxes. Just curious how much difference that could make. Sorry to say that every egg that I have seen sweat but did not hatch after 3 days or so did not make it. Any that I have cut open at the 3 day mark did not survive either.

What kind of container are you using for the eggs? I noticed that the clutch I had in a large GLAD box had the same result as what you are seeing now. Eggs sweating, shrinking, then dying. The other 2 previous clutches that had nearly all eggs hatch out were in a rubbermaid container that was much thicker plastic and about 3 times the cost (still only $13) of the cheaper thin plastic Glad boxes. Just curious how much difference that could make. Sorry to say that every egg that I have seen sweat but did not hatch after 3 days or so did not make it. Any that I have cut open at the 3 day mark did not survive either.

Thank you guys. Really means a lot for your help. They have been in Rubbermaid containers.

Thank you for the info on what your experience was when cutting out after the three day mark. It seems that there's a window between when to cut and when it's too late. I'm just not sure when that window is....or if it may already be to late. I really thank you for the info.

Anyone have any words of wisdom on when you would help an egg and cut it open or when you would let it go?

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom