Egg carton question

Also, check to make sure no eggs broke in it (just in case) , don't want to pass Salmonella to your chameleon.

I think the salmonella can be on the outside of the eggshells too...so I've never used ones that came from chicken eggs.

Over the 20+ years that I have kept reptiles, I have had dozens+ autopsied and only one ever came back saying it had salmonella. Not to say that they don't carry it and certainly I would treat them as though they do regarding hygiene.

Thanks for the correction!

I'll try to find wherever I read that and read it again to see if I misread or that it's just, as you guys said, false

http://www.eggcartonsource.com/Paper-Egg-Trays-Free-Shipping-RB0202ES.htm

.....or you could get some of these and not worry about egg cartons again for quite a while!! I don't use cartons that have had eggs in them - the risk might be small, but not worth it to me.

The price is quite reasonable especially if you buy 50 or more......that might seem like an awful large quantity but it's not like they'll go bad (and they stack together and don't take up much space).....also keep in mind shipping is "free" from this place. Also, these cartons are large - I cut each of mine into 2 or 3 pieces...... it depends on the height of your cricket container, what you'll want to do in that regard. It's important to clean out your cricket cage on a regular basis and using fresh egg cartons each time will benefit the health of the crickets and get rid of the cricket smell on the old cartons.

If anyone knows a cheaper place (with shipping considered) please let us know!!

If your worried, bake them for 15 minutes in the oven at 215 degrees. Cardboard only, not styrofoam. That might get messy.

Back
Top Bottom