Egg bound

Definitely could. The color changing ability is linked to neural and hormonal pathways and nerve damage/compression at the base of the tail (such as an egg pushing on a nerve) could cause that. It could be other problems as well though. Can she still use her tail like normal? Can you post a picture?

Definitely could. The color changing ability is linked to neural and hormonal pathways and nerve damage/compression at the base of the tail (such as an egg pushing on a nerve) could cause that. It could be other problems as well though. Can she still use her tail like normal? Can you post a picture?

Yes, she can use her tail perfectly
Heres a pic:
c6e4e96b-8a7c-bcc3.jpg

I'm using a bucket thats 10 inches wide and 10 inches deep filled with a mix if organic soil and sand thats moist

I am just curious:

How long ago did she become gravid (do you know the date you bred her?)
how much do you feed and of what?
What are your basking/ambient temps?

the black tail thing is kind of weird--- never seen anything like it!

can you add a photo of your lay bin set up as well. Have you had her lay before? or is this her first time?

just my opinion but i would say itspossibly fungal i would have a vet check it out for sure i have neve seen this either

I am just curious:

How long ago did she become gravid (do you know the date you bred her?)
how much do you feed and of what?
What are your basking/ambient temps?

the black tail thing is kind of weird--- never seen anything like it!

can you add a photo of your lay bin set up as well. Have you had her lay before? or is this her first time?

She's been gravid for around 20 days..I can check the exact date when I'm back home later today.

I normally feed her twice a week, but since she is gravid I have fed her crickets and worms until she stops eating.

I will double check the temps when I get home, but they're the same I use for my other 3 chams and they're fine.

She hasn't laid before, this is her first time.
I will also add a pic when I get home.

Also, I haven't seen her at the bottom of the cage or anything different.
I currently have her cage covered with towels so she can't see the other chams or anyone else that walks in the room

I have had females lay a fertile clutch as quickly as 13 days from the time they were bred. I have seen that kind of black coloration on females that needed to lay but did not like what I was providing for them.
My suggestion is to change her laying bin to something larger and cover the sand/soil mix with sphagnum moss that has been dipped in hot tap water. Spread the hot wet moss loosely across the top of the laying bin. This has worked for me several times in the past with females that were being difficult laying their first clutch. You might also stick a small piece of driftwood ontop of the sand so she has something to dig under. Hope that works out. Keep me posted please

Gently feel her belly to see if you can feel her eggs. I don't see egg lumps above her back legs yet although I suppose that doesn't happen 100% of the time although that always happens with my ladies.

If things don't get better in a couple of days I would take her to the vet.

Back
Top Bottom