Education Purposes: Cross breeding

AnvilsHammer

Hopefully this isn't a repost.

I was wondering, have there ever been any successful chameleon cross breeding, ie jacksons with a Nosy Faly or something of the sort? I know panthers can breed with other subspecies, but i was wondering if they are are like dogs or horses and donkeys.

This is for educational purposes, i have no desire or plan to ever cross breed.

I believe it is only possible if the they're in the same genus or something like that. I've been wondering If you can cross breed pygmy's. Not that i intend to do so.

There are a couple of examples of different (but closely related) types of chams cross breeding - Use the search function on this forum to learn more. From what I understand, the offspring (in those rare instances that this happens "successfully") are sterile.

Hopefully this isn't a repost.

I was wondering, have there ever been any successful chameleon cross breeding, ie jacksons with a Nosy Faly or something of the sort? I know panthers can breed with other subspecies, but i was wondering if they are are like dogs or horses and donkeys.

This is for educational purposes, i have no desire or plan to ever cross breed.

Whether two different species can interbreed or not depends on how much of their DNA is still the same (assuming that at one point there was one original type of chameleon from which others diverged). Given enough time and distance from their origin, isolated populations start evolving to take advantage of different climates and habitats. Panther locales are somewhat closely related probably because they have dispersed fairly recently or they are still likely to cross naturally if the habitat distances are small enough. They are all still within the same species...Furcifer pardalis. We don't know how long some have been isolated from each other and when they become too distinct to cross. Some can and some can't. Crosses between different genus (Furcifer, Calumma, Chameleo, Trioceros, etc) are very very unlikely because they are simply too different physically but also behaviorally.

BTW, horses and donkeys can interbreed to create mules (which are sterile) because they are still similar enough to remain within the same genus Equus. Dogs are all the same species Canus familiaris but its been manipulated by man, not just nature.

written by Chris Anderson:

"There are known hybrids in chameleons between Yemen Chameleons (Chamaeleo calyptratus) and Arabian Chameleons (Chamaeleo arabicus), Panther Chameleons (Furcifer pardalis) and Oustalet's Chameleons (Furcifer oustaleti), and between Mt. Meru Jackson's Chameleons (Trioceros jacksonii merumontanus) and Sternfeld's Side-striped Chameleons (Trioceros sternfeldi). One thing that is important to note is that in each case, these are closely related species from the same genus that overlap in range and habitat preference. Other examples of hybridization are typically within the same genus as well (ex: Bitis nasicornis x Bitis gabonica, Panthera tigris x Panthera leo, Equus ferus x Equus africanus)."

Citation: http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...n-species.html

And read Chris Anderson's opinion (realted topic) in this thread (the second to last question): https://www.chameleonforums.com/interview-chris-anderson-66414/#post619266

Would breeding a panther chameleon and a Jackson's chameleon be possible or would it produce some sort of weird mutated creature ?

It is not even remotely possible. They do not belong to the same genus and do not even live in the same continent. One lays eggs and the other gives live birth. They couldn't be any less compatible.

Like the others have said, the mentioned hybrid would not work. I suppose the animals might mate, but they would not produce offspring. The chameleon species that can hybridize generally have to be closely related and have over-lapping ranges.

There was a recent crossing between I believe a graceful male chameleon and a female veiled chameleon. Most of the offspring did not make it, and as far as I know, it is unknown if the offspring were sterile or not.

Back
Top Bottom