Edible?

Nursemaia

Chameleon Enthusiast
I live on the east coast and get these all the time at my porch. Do you think they're edible?
20170420_155725.jpg
20170420_155725.jpg

Hi, I'm not too sure what they are however when feeding anything from outside there is always a risk of it being contaminated by either parasites or pesticides etc. would highly recommend you don't feed anything that has not been Cbb a few generations.

Lacewings? Just a weak guess. I've seen them in green but I think they hold their wings to their sides not backs.

Hi, I'm not too sure what they are however when feeding anything from outside there is always a risk of it being contaminated by either parasites or pesticides etc. would highly recommend you don't feed anything that has not been Cbb a few generations.
I have a lot of land so pesticides is not an issue I'm also not concerned about parasites because I do annual fecals I believe feeding wild-caught insects add variety and is more natural than anything I could ever provide

Hi, a lot of insects migrate great distances so pesticides still very well may be a threat here. That is the last I will speak of it if you are confident in your practice so be it. And yes that is true it provides plenty of variety. Do you research the nutritional value of the insects you feed once you've identified them?

I appreciate you not wanting to debate on yay vs nay on wild caught or not. I know some people are all for it and others are not. I do not typically look up nutritional value, you're not going to find it readily available on most species however wild caught are gut loaded in a way that we just can't replicate.

It is edible and is called many things, from grantises, helgramites, to Dobson flys. The larvae live in well oxygenated, generally clean, fresh water streams and rivers.

My melleri go bananas for Dobson Flies! Nice find!
I get tons of them all over the front porch, I was pretty sure it was a dobson fly but didn't know if it was safe to eat or not. I don't even have to do anything to find them, they're just there when I go outs. Mel isn't big enough yet, booo, but my other guys are so they will be getting some tasty treats then.

Back
Top Bottom