Edema?

xxaprilrose

Established Member
Is this edema? And how do I treat it? I provide calcium without d3 everyday and a vitamin every 2 weeks with d3. I last provided the vitamin a week ago but I forgot to clean out the cup immediately so he went about 4 days with some dusting of it at the bottom so maybe with the crickets I poured in those days they moved around in it? Wasn’t even much powder but could have been enough to cause it possibly. He’s about 7 months old.

Attachments

• 55F2F40C-CA48-41FF-B9F9-6D4E77255166.jpeg
    55F2F40C-CA48-41FF-B9F9-6D4E77255166.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 76
I wouldn't worry much about it sounds like you're supplementation is correct. Look at the chameleon academy page about edema to see some more extreme examples.

Yes that is edema.... Are you pouring the vitamin in the bowl? Or are you dusting the bugs and pouring them over into the feeding dish without excess powder everywhere?

Are you supplementing with anything else like bee pollen?

Which supplements are you using?

Yes that is edema.... Are you pouring the vitamin in the bowl? Or are you dusting the bugs and pouring them over into the feeding dish without excess powder everywhere?

Are you supplementing with anything else like bee pollen?

Which supplements are you using?
so i bought a feeder from etsy and it is too small to pour from the cricket shaker into it. So what I have to do is pour the crickets from the shaker to a glass and then use the glass to pour into the feeder. So thats what I do. But powder does transfer into the feeder in this process but I dont overdust so its usually not that much. No other supplementations other than zoo med repticalcium without d3 everyday and then once every 2 weeks i do the reptivite with d3..... I do feed my crickets a premade "dust" that includes: bee pollin, alfalfa, spirulina, dandelion greens, kelp, pumpkin seed, papaya, carrots, apples

so i bought a feeder from etsy and it is too small to pour from the cricket shaker into it. So what I have to do is pour the crickets from the shaker to a glass and then use the glass to pour into the feeder. So thats what I do. But powder does transfer into the feeder in this process but I dont overdust so its usually not that much. No other supplementations other than zoo med repticalcium without d3 everyday and then once every 2 weeks i do the reptivite with d3..... I do feed my crickets a premade "dust" that includes: bee pollin, alfalfa, spirulina, dandelion greens, kelp, pumpkin seed, papaya, carrots, apples
Ok but your not adding bee pollen into your supplements and not using any earth pro supplements?

And your UVB is on point the right fixture and distance for it?

Ok but your not adding bee pollen into your supplements and not using any earth pro supplements?

And your UVB is on point the right fixture and distance for it?
correct I am not. should I be though? And uvb yes. 7 inches away. its due for a replacement in 2 months... ill most likely replace it in 1-1.5 months though

correct I am not. should I be though? And uvb yes. 7 inches away. its due for a replacement in 2 months... ill most likely replace it in 1-1.5 months though
7 inches away from the branch? Using what type of fixture and bulb strength?

No just asking questions... Bee pollen has been found linked with Edema. Just covering all my bases.

7 inches away from the branch? Using what type of fixture and bulb strength?

No just asking questions... Bee pollen has been found linked with Edema. Just covering all my bases.
from branch correct. its the t5 30 inch fixture reptisun 5.0

from branch correct. its the t5 30 inch fixture reptisun 5.0
Ok so he is actually in a higher UVI then recommended... You want a full 8-9 inches to the branch... Because then where they rise up ends up being a 3-4 UVI. He is probably sitting in the higher range of a 6-7 UVI. Do you have a solarmeter to test your levels? If not I would adjust your distance.

For example... I run a T5HO single bulb fixture with a 7 month old 6% arcadia bulb. At 7 inches down I am pulling a 4.4 UVI then if I go up 3 inches it is 6.9. As you move toward the bulb the UVI gets much stronger.

Ok so he is actually in a higher UVI then recommended... You want a full 8-9 inches to the branch... Because then where they rise up ends up being a 3-4 UVI. He is probably sitting in the higher range of a 6-7 UVI. Do you have a solarmeter to test your levels? If not I would adjust your distance.

For example... I run a T5HO single bulb fixture with a 7 month old 6% arcadia bulb. At 7 inches down I am pulling a 4.4 UVI then if I go up 3 inches it is 6.9. As you move toward the bulb the UVI gets much stronger.
i unfortunately dont have one and currently not financially able to get one due to having surgery a couple weeks ago and waiting for those bills to come. However, if I raise it an inch should I expect this to help? Does it ever go away or what should I be worried about? Ill admit im not too educated on edema. Will be looking into this though and hopefully will get some answers. also thanks so much!

i unfortunately dont have one and currently not financially able to get one due to having surgery a couple weeks ago and waiting for those bills to come. However, if I raise it an inch should I expect this to help? Does it ever go away or what should I be worried about? Ill admit im not too educated on edema. Will be looking into this though and hopefully will get some answers. also thanks so much!
So edema means something is out of wack in the body. Most typically related to a supplement issue.

Not enough is known about excessive UVI exposure so this is where the leaders in the hobby all agree on no exposure over a 6 UVI. And this in turn is where they all seem to agree on the sweet spot of daily exposure being a 3 UVI. Could it have something to do with the edema? This is a maybe. I always lean as it is a potential for issues with a higher consistent exposure level.

I would go ahead and raise it 2 measured inches if it is 7 to the branch. This would be a total distance of 9 inches would put him in the high 2-3 UVI for sure. See what happens...

Other option is taking him off the reptivite and switch him to another multi like repashy calcium plus LoD version. Not all chams react well to the same supplements.

Reptivite is higher in D3 and Vitamin A also it has a phosphorus level. Repashy is lower in D3 and A and does not have phosphorus. So it might be worth it to try this as well to see if it is the reptivite causing it. It should not have anything to do with your calcium without D3.

Edema normally subsides over a few weeks or so once the issue is resolved.

Back
Top Bottom