Edema???? Can someone help

joshdhensley

My female panther has gotten swollen with large fat looking rolls. She has become very lethargic and has very limited movement and strength. She is often hanging on by her tail and one arm. We have gotten many "experts" opinions and come to the conclusion that it is edema. We are told that the only cure is sunlight. She is outside every day and her crickets are dusted once or twice weekly at max with cham dust. Any help would be appriciated.

She has never layed, she is only about seven months old and never been with any of the males. It really just started about a month ago. We first saw a small "fat roll" around her neck and started asking questions then.(To long time keepers and even our dog and cat vet)<- Yeah I know but we were there for shots. Everyone said she needs sun because it was a Vit A issue and it may work but usually not. She stays outside everyday so she always has gotten sun. I will take pics of her tomorow and send them to you.

Is her UVB light under 7 months old? And it sounds like she needs more plain calcium. I give mine calcium 5 days a week.

Like I said, it was our dog and cat vet, and they really didn't know I don't think. Other long time keepers said that all I could do is give her sun. I dust her crickets with T-Rex Cham Dust 1 time a week.

Howdy,

If you want to try a vet in the San Diego area, this one comes with a pretty good reputation:

http://www.herpvetconnection.com/calif.shtml

Thomas H. Boyer, DVM
Pet Hospital of Penasquitos
9888 Carmel Mt. Road, Suite F
San Diego, CA 92129
Tel: (858) 484-3490
Fax: (858) 484-3499
Member and editor for the ARAV

There are other reasons for gular edema, kidney failure being one of them. Years ago (2005), when my Panther had similar symptoms, a blood test showed that his calcium to phosphorus ratio was updside down. Dr. Greek said that if treatment didn't clear it up then kidney failure would be the likely cause. Treatment was 0.1cc of Mylanta orally for 14 days. 14 days later, the swelling symptoms were gone and the second blood test confirmed that the ratio was fixed.

You can see the calcium and phosphorus values and that before treatment, there was more Ph than Ca and then the reverse after treatment. The permanent fix was to up the Ca/D3 dusting a bit, especially back when he used to eat a lot of Superworms. He doesn't get many supers anymore. More Dubias, Hornworms, Silkies instead these days :).

Before Mylanta Treatment:
BloodPanel1stResults_Page_1.jpg

After Treatment:
BloodPanel2ndTest.jpg

Normal Values:
BloodPanelNormals_Page_1.jpg

BloodPanelNormals_Page_2.jpg

Howdy,

There are other reasons for gular edema, ....Years ago (2005), when my Panther had similar symptoms, a blood test showed that his calcium to phosphorus ratio was updside down.

We had the same thing happen with Guido (male veiled) years ago. Blood tests showed the same thing. In his case the cause was a diet of superworms exclusively, and inadequate supplementation. I cringe when I read of keepers feeding their chams exclusively on superworms. A corrected diet, with a variety of feeders, fixed the problem.

Back
Top Bottom