Eating

Brain916

Established Member
My Chameleon cage is 18 x 18 x 36 and he is a 2 1/2 month Nosy Be.
I am a little nervous about him eating since I have only seen him eat 2 crickets since I got him.

I have a cricket up attached in the middle where I put 3-4 in at a time. I do see a lot of fecal matter, so this means something right?

Sometimes the crickets get out, and they wonder around, since I have a lot of vines and leafs they can hide.

What should I do? How can I show him the crickets are in the cup?

I had been keeping my crix in a cup as well and it could take all day before my cham would see them and eat. Sometimes I'd see that he didn't eat all day (so I would take them out so they can re-gut load.

I now use something different. I use a 1/2 gallon plastic milk carton cut on 2 sides (leaving 2 side) from the top down to about 1" from the bottom. Then I have screen on the inside I put down with glue. There was a link somewhere about how someone showed this but I can't seem to find it now.

Ever since putting in this new feeder, my cham has been a much more aggressive eater. I imagine it is the same reason as what the article said, is that the crix now walk up and down the screen and the cham sees this and he goes after them very quickly.

Here are a couple quick pics:

Attachments

• Feeder1.JPG
    Feeder1.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 152
  • Feeder2.JPG
    Feeder2.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 162
Thank You,
is there a certain way to face it? I will make this tomorrow, and just really fine wire right?

I use the same milk jug feeder for all of my adult chams. I usually free range the crickets just so that they get to "hunt" but I use the feeder for superworms and roaches. The only thing that i did different was I also cut the bottom out and glued screen into it so that any water that got into the feeder from misting would drain out and not kill my feeders or sit there and collect bacteria.

If you see a lot of fecal matter (one group a day) then your cham is probably eating. If you don't want to use the milk jug (a bit bulky), I have used a medium petri dish sized glad container with a screen across the bottom. Just pinch one leg of the crickets and they can't hop out.

I highly suggest using some sort of dish along with a few free range feeders in order to know the minimum amount of feeders your cham is eating. A 2 1/2 month old should be eating around 8 - 12 feeders a day, sometimes more but there are discrepancies on the "proper" amount of feeders a day for different ages.

Back
Top Bottom