Eating soil

Terp

I have noticed my 2 month old veiled Terp has been eating potting soil from the Pothos in his enclosure. I plan on getting some larger rocks tomorrow to cover the soil so he can't do this anymore. I haven't noticed any problems with him yet but have read that soil eating can increase the risk of impaction. Are there any common symptoms I should be looking out for? He has still been eating normally ( 4 bsfl 3 superworms and a hornworm) today and all feeders have been dusted with calcium w/o d3. I see that some people have indicated soil eating may be due to missing certain minerals so should I be changing the feeders he is getting to curb this desire? All The soil in his pots is peat based with some smaller soft pieces of bark in there though.

Just make sure you cover the dirt with larger river rock. You can get this at most craft stores and sometimes pet stores. It does increase the risk of impaction. Just watch his stools and urates to makes sure they are normal.

I just want to double check how much you are feeding each day... Are you only feeding 8 feeders a day total? If so you will want to let your 2 month old eat as many small crickets as they can at that age. It is not until about 3 months that you want to drop the total feeder number back to about 15-20 a day. If your veiled is in fact 2 months old that would make him or her a neonate so it is really important that they are eating quite a bit. Here is the care sheet to look over to double check your husbandry https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

If you would like people to check everything then fill out this with as much detail as possible and provide pics of the light down to the bottom of the cage. :)
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

A widely held assumption is that they eat dirt to get some nutrients they may be missing. Here's what I would personally recommend. Offer him collared greens, veggies, fruit. Finely cut. Also, gut feed his feeders the same diet of fruit, veggies and a good commercial feeder and he'll most likely stop eating dirt.

I love hornworms and feed more than recommended. They are rich in calcium and help keep him hydrated. Staying hydrated will also reduce chances of impaction. So, that's a plus.

Good advice!^
557AE972-1E3E-44AB-A192-660DD6EE33D0.png
89AE488D-FF2D-4E2F-B5BA-7EB5561E85C1.jpeg
C5B381BF-B062-4B9E-9A7D-319FCAF83888.jpeg
D84F2999-6FAF-4F61-8836-7E0CA37F20A0.jpeg
2880C785-4378-401D-AFE8-02B8AF0E4788.png

Back
Top Bottom