Eating Habits/Changes of growing chams?

blue_cham

Established Member
My little guys are eating great but don't have the "eagerness" they used to as babies. I've read multiple places that it is not unusual for juveniles to have fluctuations in appetite as they age. Adults of course not needing as much.

So when did these appetite changes, change in your chameleons? And how do you know when it is normal vs a "symptom" of something bad?

And how do you know when it is normal vs a "symptom" of something bad?
Good question. I wish I had an absolute answer for you. This is where chameleon's drive their keepers crazy. The 7-8 mos. mark can be where you see appetite changes in panthers more the males than the females. Then the adults do their thing.
Females not eating is more likely about them being about to lay eggs or related problems. In general they have better appetites.
If your chameleon does stop eating you can try other feeders and see if that makes a difference. Sometimes what they will gobble up as a baby losses its appeal as they age. Knowing your chameleons habits can help. If you know of a favorite feeder they can't resist try it. If their other behavior is normal, drinking, activity, sleeping time & spot, that's a good sign. Check your temps and humidity if those are ok that's also good. Now you just have to keep an eye on their eyes. If they appear sunken then you have a situation that needs vet care.

Good question. I wish I had an absolute answer for you. This is where chameleon's drive their keepers crazy. The 7-8 mos. mark can be where you see appetite changes in panthers more the males than the females. Then the adults do their thing.
Females not eating is more likely about them being about to lay eggs or related problems. In general they have better appetites.
If your chameleon does stop eating you can try other feeders and see if that makes a difference. Sometimes what they will gobble up as a baby losses its appeal as they age. Knowing your chameleons habits can help. If you know of a favorite feeder they can't resist try it. If their other behavior is normal, drinking, activity, sleeping time & spot, that's a good sign. Check your temps and humidity if those are ok that's also good. Now you just have to keep an eye on their eyes. If they appear sunken then you have a situation that needs vet care.

Thanks! That's a pretty good rounded answer, I appreciate it. Yeah, their activity/drinking/environment is all good and normal, everything checks out, but I can't help but be the worrier, you know? lol. They are eating, just not as enthusiastically. I picked up a new feeder today anyways at our local reptile specialty place, so maybe this will re-excite them about feeding time. Thanks ChamLB!

Back
Top Bottom