Eating fake leaves

Matt1851

Ok Im really stumped on thsi one. Charlie keeps trying to eat this one fake ivey plant i have in his terrarium. Iv never seen him try to eat anything else, not even the REAL shefflera in his terrarium. What do i do! I dont wana take it out it looks so nice :eek: (thats the ivey he tries to eat that hes sitting in)

Attachments

• 100_5333[1].jpg
    100_5333[1].jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 241
hi, i have an ankify panther that does the same, i was told they do this looking for nutrition, to be honest i dont believe this as all my feeders are gutloaded every day (twice some days) and they get calcium and vitamins when needed, my other chams dont do it, i have seen my veiled do it once or twice but the ankify does it every few months, i dont think its any thing to worry about unless he ingests it.

regards
rob

hi, i have an ankify panther that does the same, i was told they do this looking for nutrition, to be honest i dont believe this as all my feeders are gutloaded every day (twice some days) and they get calcium and vitamins when needed, my other chams dont do it, i have seen my veiled do it once or twice but the ankify does it every few months, i dont think its any thing to worry about unless he ingests it.

regards
rob

well im afraid he will :\ usually i just stick my hand in there give him a spank on the bum with my finger and he stops lol

I would remove it. If he bites off any and swallows it, it may cause an impaction (blockage) inside him, which may mean a vet visit and ultimately death if the impaction is bad enough. I have plastic leaves in my cham's cages, but I would remove them as soon as if I ever saw them trying to eat bits! Better to be safe than sorry. You get get a Pothos to put in his cage which will grow around branches etc as it's vines grow.

I would remove it. If he bites off any and swallows it, it may cause an impaction (blockage) inside him, which may mean a vet visit and ultimately death if the impaction is bad enough. I have plastic leaves in my cham's cages, but I would remove them as soon as if I ever saw them trying to eat bits! Better to be safe than sorry. You get get a Pothos to put in his cage which will grow around branches etc as it's vines grow.

very true tiff haha, I just remoovesd it and am going out on the prowl for a new plant today :)

Brilliant! Where looks of the cage vs health of the cham is concerned, the cham has to come first every time! Just not worth the risk imo! I have never used Pothos but I believe that they grow well and their vine like 'branches' (for want of a better word!) can be trained around sticks, etc. Happy plant hunting!:D Do you have a hibiscus for him? They sometimes enjoy eating those leaves and flowers!

Brilliant! Where looks of the cage vs health of the cham is concerned, the cham has to come first every time! Just not worth the risk imo! I have never used Pothos but I believe that they grow well and their vine like 'branches' (for want of a better word!) can be trained around sticks, etc. Happy plant hunting!:D Do you have a hibiscus for him? They sometimes enjoy eating those leaves and flowers!

no, Iv got one in my veileds terrarium and its perfect size. I want to get one for Charlie but I have yet to find a good sized one

Ok Im really stumped on thsi one. Charlie keeps trying to eat this one fake ivey plant i have in his terrarium. Iv never seen him try to eat anything else, not even the REAL shefflera in his terrarium. What do i do! I dont wana take it out it looks so nice :eek: (thats the ivey he tries to eat that hes sitting in)

I had the same issue, she had a live plant that she never touched, but often I caught her biting her fake plant one in particular. So I removed that plant before she actually got a piece fearing it may cause an issue in the future as she grew. So I gave her a hibiscus, it took about a month but sure enough she LOVES it... At first she only nibbled leaves, now she loves to munch on both the leaves and flowers as they bloom.
She still has two fake plants but they are sleeping grounds for her mostly. So she doesnt try to eat them, Try a real ivy maybe... one that is cham friendly.

no, Iv got one in my veileds terrarium and its perfect size. I want to get one for Charlie but I have yet to find a good sized one

LOWES. lol.
I got two small Hibiscus perfect size for Ziva's terrarium which I alternate so they can get a chance to re coop from her munching. She loves them, and they are pretty too.

I am planing on pruning them into trees for her future cage. One tree one bush. :)

LOWES. lol.
I got two small Hibiscus perfect size for Ziva's terrarium which I alternate so they can get a chance to re coop from her munching. She loves them, and they are pretty too.

I am planing on pruning them into trees for her future cage. One tree one bush. :)

thats a good idea :) iv seen a cuple around, still looking!

Back
Top Bottom