Eating dry moss, bad?

AaronandJen

Our female veiled chameleon is eating tons of dry moss that we purchased from a reptile store. We have also seen her eating some bark that lies at the bottom of the cage. I'm aware the bark isnt good for her but is the moss bad for her?

Thanks

Aaron and Jen

The moss is probably not a good thing for your cham to be eating. I would assume it could cause some internal blockage. In general, any kind of caging substrate is not recommended.

You might want to try taking the moss out and replacing it with romain lettuce, or some other kind of leafy green. This way she'll be eating something that's good for her.

I just discovered that spinach is bad for chameleons and to use as a gutload. Apparently, it does something to calcium? Anyone heard this?

Heika

interesting thought. Where did you hear it? Was it a credible source? If so that would be very good to know. I very rarely use it in my gutload recipees. I havn't noticed anything bad happen, but I probably dont use it enough to create a problem. Could you point me in the direction of that info?

I found this VERY interesting that spinach was mentioned. About a month ago I gut loaded my king mealworms with a mixed salad of spinach, watercress and rocket. Usually I just buy a bag of watercress but on this occasion they were sold out so I thought I'd give the mixed bag a try. 48 hours later 70% of the king mealworms were dead. I was so baffled I mentioned it to other people on another forum to find out if anyone else had experienced this. The answer was no. I have used king mealworms as feeders for over 5 years now and rarely lose one let alone about 20 in one go!! I think what I have read here about the spinach is evidence enough to me that it was the spinach that killed them. By the way, my other feeder insects were unaffected by the spinach.

Last edited:
spinach unlikely killer

Chamgirl said:
I think what I have read here about the spinach is evidence enough to me that it was the spinach that killed them. By the way, my other feeder insects were unaffected by the spinach.

I doubt the spinach killed them due to interfering with calcium absorption - it would not happen that quick and they were eating a variety of things. What I would be more conecernd about is that the spinach (and other veggies in that bag) had been sprayed with some sort of biocide (pest-, herb-, etc). Did you wash it first? Organic is a bit pricier but recommended. If you cannot get organic then be sure to wash well. Put in a bowl, add a couple drops of dish soap, swish around then run water to rinse well. A little residual soap will be much less toxic;)

why substrate?

AaronandJen said:
Our female veiled chameleon is eating tons of dry moss that we purchased from a reptile store. We have also seen her eating some bark that lies at the bottom of the cage. I'm aware the bark isnt good for her but is the moss bad for her?

as Brad said there is no need for substrate and not recommended. They spend most of their time up high, water and feces will fall and can promote bacterila and fungal pathogens which can then be breathed in and/or transferred by feeders. A bare floor or something like paper towel is safer and easy to clean. You also do not know what that moss was treated with besides the potential impaction issue. She may also be lacking something in her diet. What is your supplement regime?

lele

Back
Top Bottom