Eating dirt, or rather plant/storks?

Hi,

My Panther seems pretty happy. But I noticed recently that he's been trying to extract parts of plants which has concerned me slightly. It isn't quite eating dirt, more plant matter.

Here's an example of something it appears he was trying to eat:

1664196861452.png

Here is a video of him doing it, he seems very determined:

Generally he has a varied diet of mealworms, hoppers and crickets (although last week was heavier on mealworms due to availability issues). They are usually sprinkled with vitamins.

Should I be concerned?

Thanks

Here is the supplement we usually add to the meal-worms as they retain it best. Frequency is hard for me to be sure, but he usually has these 2-3 times per week.
1664199139353.png

Just to add, he's just chewed on the leaf which can be seen here:
1664199058529.png

1664199413488.png

Video of him eating the leaf:

Ok, so that supplement used exclusively and with each feeding may be a part or all of the problem. From what I can see on the Komodo website, that product is a combination multivitamin and D3 and would only need to be used for one feeding, every other week. Using it more frequently than that risks overdosing your chameleon on the fat soluble vitamins such as D3, possibly A (can’t see which type it contains) and E. Also, I’m not able to see if it contains any calcium at all. You should be lightly dusting at every feeding with a phosphorus free calcium without D3. Your guy may be eating soil and leaves to try to get whatever little calcium is in it. Start the calcium, give it a bit of time and see if he’s still eating dirt and leaves.

Thank you for your reply, this has been really helpful!

I inadvertently bought the wrong supplement, but I've now bought:
View attachment 329344

I hope it makes a difference!
You want to make sure that you get calcium WITHOUT D3. What you have here is also something you would only give occasionally. There's concern for too much D3 in your cham's system.

You want something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Rept...fix=calcium+without+d3+reptile,pets,77&sr=1-3

Additionally feeding more nutritionally dense feeders will help. Mealworms really should not be a primary feeder. It is fine if they are used a few here and there but never a primary. Young panthers are more prone to eating things like dried leaves or even chewing on branches... This can become a major issue if they are going after things that can cause a blockage such as moss.

Supplements should be on point and given correctly as well. They will search out other things to try to balance their bodies without the correct supplementation.

Attachments

• chameleon-food(1).jpg
    chameleon-food(1).jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 32
Back
Top Bottom