Easy ways to feed baby crickets??

kkagy

I just spent an hour feeding my 3 month old panther and was wondering if it normally takes that long.
It is very hard to feed the baby crickets. I feed them one at a time by putting them on a branch. I tried putting them on the screen, but they always fall before he gets to them.
Does anyone have an easier way to feed baby crickets???
THanks

A method that i use is rather easy i put the baby crickets for my veiled cham in a small round clear cup or tuplewear(spelling?) then i dust the crickets and put them in the cage, but before i put it in the cage i make sure i show my cham the cup so that he knows where they are. My cham just goes to the cup now and sits on the edge to eat.

Cup Feed

You can use an empty cottage cheese or other container, make two small holes near the rim, unbend a paperclip and place thru holes then secure to screen. Place it near his favorite branch and/or basking site. He should just shoot them. It's better for him to get used to looking for his own food. Feeding one at a time will make you both crazy! JK ;)

Yes, I do the same as Sally. As soon as I open the cage and put the crickets in, they start running toward the container. Sometimes they don't understand the clear container and go for the crickets while underneath the container.

I like to use a solid colored cup for feeding. Something the chams cant see through for just that reason. I figure, it cant be good for them to keep shooting there tongues at a plastic cup. So I use a white cup. That way when the cham is wandering his cage, he only sees the crickets when he passes over the cup. This way he doesn't think he can get to something he cant. I used to use clear cups, and then I figured out white cups wouldn't frustrate my chams so much.

Sounds good. I tried a clear plastic container, but no luck. I think he was either full or it was too late for feeding. I am going to try a white cup and leave the crickets in it over night so when he is hungry in the morning.
This is his first day in his new cage, so he gets frightened easily.

kkagy said:
Sounds good. I tried a clear plastic container, but no luck. I think he was either full or it was too late for feeding. I am going to try a white cup and leave the crickets in it over night so when he is hungry in the morning.
This is his first day in his new cage, so he gets frightened easily.

I agree on the solid color cup. A cham can damage its tongue by shooting at solid things. Think of the speed that tongue comes out with then bangs into a "wall." When I first used clear cups and then saw Luna smash her tongue it was funny for a minute but then I realized how confusing it must be! She had a favorite blue cup - weird, huh? She'd eat fromt he others but she responded more to the blue!

two things to Keep in mind:
1 - do not feed him too late in the day. he needs several hours of basking for digestion so he does not go to sleep with a full belly. Since the cage temp, and his, drop by 15-20 degrees that food will just ferment in his cool little tummy:(

2 - if you are leaving any feeders in overnight (even in a cup as they might get out) be sure to leave a food source for them to nibble so they do not nibble your cham as food - yes, crix will do that! :eek:

Since he is in a new cage he will need some adjusting time so leave him alone as much as you can so he can get used to the new digs ;)

lele

We are new to the game, day three here. Had great success today dusting the small crickets (which slows them down) and grabbing a hind leg and he eats them right out of our hands. My seven year old did two and I did 4 this way. He caught 3/4 that I set on a leaf in front of him. He is a 2 MO veiled.

Back
Top Bottom