easy direction for raising Dubia

laurie

Retired Moderator
I find it fascinating how differently we raise the same roach and all do well with them.
Mine are in a 100 gal aquarium, I have a large under tank reptile heater, and 2 ceramic bulbs above them. To say I keep mine hot is pretty much an understatement. I do feed mine much differently than any of you. Once a month I make gutload. My gutload is blended with a bit of water & put into cheap plastic ice cube trays. That is all my bugs ever eat. No water, no cat food, dog food or crap of any kind. I use no substrate of any kind, and have a large number of egg crates standing on their sides , but each one reversed from the one in front of it so they don't all squish together. This colony has been self sustaining for about three years. I have the juiciest, healthiest dubia you have ever seen. At any given time my colony is 1500, to 2000.

If anyone needs/wants it I will post the recipe for my gutload.

Laurie’ Frozen Gutload

Bee Pollen
Calcium D3
Sweet Potato (peeled)
Carrot (scrubbed)
Collard Greens (washed)
Mustard Greens (washed)
Kale (washed)
Beet Greens (washed)
Bok Choy (washed)
Romaine Lettuce (washed)
Squash (peeled)
Zucchini (washed)
Green Beans (washed)
Banana (peeled)
Oranges (washed)
Apples (washed)
Berry’s (Black, Raspberry, Strawberry)

Run all through a blended, add a bit of water to make it slushy freeze in icecube trays. I take frozen cubes out and store in gallon ziplock bags. I feed 6 cubes a day.

Hope this helps

If you put calcium with D3 in the gutload, do you still dust with D3 twice a month?
Do you leave the oranges unpeeled?
And do you use this recipe for other feeders as well?
Thanks

Get ready, this varies from what a lot of people do. As long an my chams eat dubia at least once a week, they are not given extra d3. Keep in mind I have montanes which get supplemented less over all.
I scrub the oranges but run peels and all into the food processor.
I use this gutload for crickets, along with cricket crack.
I do not feed it to my superworms - way to messy.

Also this is an adaptation to the fact that I am up north and the fruits and veggies really suck here in the winter, plus they are expensive and sadly - i am lazy.

If you put calcium with D3 in the gutload, do you still dust with D3 twice a month?
Do you leave the oranges unpeeled?
And do you use this recipe for other feeders as well?
Thanks

Thank you laurie!!..I was actually just contemplating the dubias today..i always heard they are easy breeders and have almost no smell compared to crickets..
:D

Back
Top Bottom