Eartha, the old maid senegalensis

Brad Ramsey

Retired Moderator
We haven't talked about Trace's girl, who has been in my care for a few months now, in awhile ....
She's doing great ... Although, still single .... she started a shed this morning (second or third one in my care) please excuse her temporary dull coloration. She will be turning 3 in the next few months.
And yes, for those of you who don't know her ... she had a bit of a tail amputation, but is in no way a "special needs" animal.
Her "special need" is for a handsome young senegal buck to enter her life;)

-Brad

Last edited:
Nice update Brad. I've always found the Senegals particularly good looking.
Good luck find her a fella :)

I'm considering senegalensis myself...she is very cute indeed....I hope you can get her a male. How do you keep them personally? From what I've read they are about 12 inches, need a lower than normal humidity, and quite warm basking spot? She has some lovely spots...are these receptive colours? Sorry for all the questions :)

I keep her the same as the veileds ... she is a big drinker though, so I tend to mist her more often.
Very sedentary species. She will hunt, but prefers when prey passes close by.
I think the females show more yellow when receptive. She gets really bright and spotty when she feels threatened (when I open the cage etc.).
It is very uncommon to find cb senegals. I would love to try breeding her and see if I can have any success. Most of the senegals available (if not all) are wild caught and pretty parasite heavy. She is a long term captive and parasite free.
Kristina has written a great article in the current e-zine if you haven't read it already:

http://www.chameleonnews.com/?page=article&id=164

-Brad

The store I buy my feeders at has a group of Babies on sale for $30 each... I am not sure if they are WC or not but they seem to be all from the same large clutch, Doesn't that normally mean CB? How this store would end up getting their hands on a clutch of CB Sengals is beyond me. Needless to say they are being kept in horrible conditions. She looks nice and Happy Brad... I'll keep my eye's out for you.

~Joe

I would guess that a large group of young were collected and imported.
That doesn't seem to be too unusual. Much more likely that someone hatching out a clutch. Most people would not even bother with them due to their somewhat (beauty is in the eye of the beholder) dull appearance. They aren't flashy like pardalis.
Hundreds more than we realize are imported and die. The care is not good since the $$$ is not there.

-Brad

Last edited:
Here's a picture that better shows her coloration.
Sorry it's a "crappy, through the screen" photo.

-Brad

Last edited:
How bout this one?
femalesenegal.jpg

Glad to see and hear she's doing well.

There's my gal! :D She's lookin' good.

She looks beautiful, what caused the tail amputation?

I'm not sure ... or I don't remember what Trace told me ... probably both:rolleyes:
-Brad

I acquired Eartha and two other WC clutchmates back in early 2006. Unfortunately Eartha had a tail injury from the whole import process and after some good Trace TLC she healed up but lost about half of her tail.

Very sedentary species. She will hunt, but prefers when prey passes close by.
-Brad

She was active and friendly with me. :confused: Kent must have ruined her. :p

Hundreds more than we realize are imported and die. The care is not good since the $$$ is not there.

-Brad

I realize you can prove anything with statistics, but according to CITES the quotas for 2007 in wild caught Chamaeleo senegalensis was 20000 specimens. How many true CB babies have any of you heard of in the last year produced from those 20000 animals? How many of those 20000 animals are even still alive right now? I'm willing to bet that the numbers are pretty close to nil. Pretty sad really. :mad:

Hee hee
She's so frickin' cool.
Who wants to be on the waiting list if we have babies?:rolleyes:

-Brad

I'd love to have an Eartha baby. :(

Cheers,
t

She's so cute! She looks like she has a sneaky little smile on her face and a gleam in her eye!

Trace,

She's still friendly!

I would love to give you a baby ... perhaps we can sneak it into a blueberry muffin and ship it across the border:rolleyes:

-Brad

I would love to be on your waiting list ! This was my 1st cham it was unfortunate for i was newbe when i got her. i was able to keep her healthy for about 5 mounths then she just died one day. now i know more i might have been able to save her but i thank she was w/c. I thank they are great chameleon to own.

I would love to be on your waiting list ! This was my 1st cham it was unfortunate for i was newbe when i got her. i was able to keep her healthy for about 5 mounths then she just died one day. now i know more i might have been able to save her but i thank she was w/c. I thank they are great chameleon to own.

I hope you're not old ....
This could be a long wait!

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom