Dying Chameleon? Why?

Sorry to here about ur terrible situation, it is never good to see a Cham in need of help. I love my Cham dearly and hope that he and I never have to go through what u are. My Cham too a few weeks ago fell from a branch because wanted to take a pic of him with my camera but he hate the camera and tried to run away and missed a branch an fell to the bottom of the cage. I was traumatized by this and I am sure he was too. But fortunately he did not receive any injuries but I was sooooo worried he did. The one thing I learned from this is that I should not try and take pics and that he has very strong bones. That is one of the most important things to make sure u have all the right proper set up to prevent MBD. You should fill out the Cham questionary on the forum so we can make sure you have the right set up. You need to have the UVB lights and the proper vitamins. With out the proper lighting and vitamins they get get MBD very quickly. It may not have been ur fault it could of been the pet stores. That is one of the issues with purchasing a Cham from a general pet store. Cham take a great amount of care to stay healthy and unfortanetly pet store are unable to provide the proper care for these little guys because they have so many other pets to care, it isntruely unfortunate what you are going through. Definitely try and get some calcium and some calcium with d3 into her body. It may be too late, but it's always worth a try. Ifnthe worst happens to come about, I hope younger not discourage from owning another. Unfortunate things do happen but make sure u have all the proper products to provide them. Also try and purchase a Cham from a reputable breeder either locally or online. I hope this is not the case that u have consider getting another one but I wish u the best and stay strong hopefully she makes!!!

My Cham too a few weeks ago fell from a branch because wanted to take a pic of him with my camera but he hate the camera and tried to run away and missed a branch an fell to the bottom of the cage.

A healthy cham just doesn't die from a fall in the typical indoor cage 3-5 feet tall! It would have to be a real fluke or the cham was already seriously sick and unable to grip the branches any longer before it fell. Even then, the fall wasn't the cause of death and any bone injuries were most likely due to MBD in addition to a fracture. Chams in the wild survive falls from full sized trees by catching on to twigs or leaves while falling, inflating themselves with air before hitting the ground. Their ribs are not true bone, rather cartilege and are quite flexible. I've watched a couple of my free range chams fall off curtain rods 7-8 feet off the floor get up and walk away unaffected.

Last edited:
A healthy cham just can't die from a fall in the typical indoor cage 3-5 feet tall! It would have to be a real fluke or the cham was already seriously sick and unable to grip the branches any longer before it fell. Chams in the wild survive falls from full sized trees by catching on to twigs or leaves while falling, inflating themselves with air before hitting the ground. Their ribs are not true bone, rather cartilege and are quite flexible. I've watched a couple of my free range chams fall off curtain rods 7-8 feet off the floor get up and walk away unaffected.

Not my video but a good example of how they are when falling/flying http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eChlwHqJUA

I am sorry to hear that you lost your little buddy. Setting MBD aside (which could have started at the store or breeder you got them from). The fall looks to be created from a slip and with the metal at the bottom instead of a flat bottom could have caused the damage. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't MBD cause a cham to loose the grip strength?? Also the branches are a bit thick.

You could easily make some changes to the current cage and have a succesfull go at it. Good luck.

This is a very old post - you will get more help by starting a new one just for you and your chameleon.

AND, check the forum sticky message titled How to Ask For Help. Answer the questions and post them. Details matter! Otherwise you'll waste time when someone else asks for the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom