dying cham

pennyz

Hi all
Ive come back home from work today and found my cham gasping and very lethargic... all signs point to a respiratory infection..
I've been given antibiotics to tide me over before i take him in tomorrow..
Just wondered which ones anyone on here have been given to treat it... I feer mine are too generl and not strong enough..
Not sure he will last night

who gave you the antibiotics? A vet? You don't want to be giving your chameleon meds that might not even be right for the illness.

yes it was the vet... the cham has had these before for a possible skin infection which hasn't gone... its spread all over his cask... (its turned white?)
He has been prescribed Baytril.....

he's not looking like he's able to support himself on the branches well.. should i put him on a tea towel under the heat lamp?

thank you nightanole, just done it..... the annoying thing is I think I may have caused this by putting a lower watt bulb in to stop him burning himself... and now he's got this!

yes it was the vet... the cham has had these before for a possible skin infection which hasn't gone... its spread all over his cask... (its turned white?)
He has been prescribed Baytril.....

Did your vet give any instructions with the baytril?

yes i need to give him 0.05ml once a day for 5 days...

If it were me and I thought my Cham was dying I would do as the vet instructed. It sounds as if he is really poorly. I've heard that Baytral is one that is given for a ri. It is important that if you decide to treat him you try to give fluids as well. I've also heard that a steamy shower can help with secretions and hydration. This is something you need to decide whether you want to follow vets advice or leave him untreated till you see vet tomorrow.

So far I've given him his first done and tried hydrating him.. bit wary as I dont want to drown him as some people have warned about when syringing water....he is sat on his tea towel half under the lamp... more standing than lying which is good but still gaping and he's turned very light green/yellow
I dont think I can do anything more till I get back fom work tomorrow to get him to the vet... :(

So far I've given him his first done and tried hydrating him.. bit wary as I dont want to drown him as some people have warned about when syringing water....he is sat on his tea towel half under the lamp... more standing than lying which is good but still gaping and he's turned very light green/yellow
I dont think I can do anything more till I get back fom work tomorrow to get him to the vet... :(

Can you steam him? By that I mean but him in shower on a plant. Have the water warm not hot and have it bouncing off the wall and not directly on him. 20 mins would be good. It is very scary when these precious creatures become ill. You have recognised the problem and spoken to your vet. You have also sought reassurance here. Whatever the outcome you have done everything you can for now. Please keep us posted.

Thank you Kate for your help,
I may try the steaming... I've just tried syringing a small amount of water slowly.. but he's now just lying on the towel barely breathing... may just leave him for night .. I dont want to freak him out.. he's in such a bad way..

Fingers crossed for tomorrow.. poor little guy
not sure how I'll be able to concentrate on teaching tomorrow!!

thanks again

they had no appointments and I was struggling to sort any kind of child care... got 2 little boys and it was bed time etc .. just wasnt giong to be possible.
He died during the night... probably around midnight..... I very much doubt anything could have been done by the vet anyway ... he went down hill very quickly!!!!

they had no appointments and I was struggling to sort any kind of child care... got 2 little boys and it was bed time etc .. just wasnt giong to be possible.
He died during the night... probably around midnight..... I very much doubt anything could have been done by the vet anyway ... he went down hill very quickly!!!!

Im so sorry you lost him. He did sound very sick. You did everything you could. Chaneleon sickness is very difficult to detect. By the time they show symtoms it is often to late. I hope this hasnt put you off keeping chams and i hope to see you back soon. Sorry it ended this way.

Thank you Katie, I now have a very dark corner in my living room... and some lucky crickets that willbe exploring the outside world soon....
Thanks to everyone that replied! Its been great to have this forum for info and in times of need xxx

Back
Top Bottom