Dull, brown chameleon

debbiedovvner

Hello, I just created this thread because my boyfriend has a chameleon and I just recently moved in with him and I don’t think his chameleon is doing so well.

He has a veiled chameleon for over 3 years now, and his name is Fuji.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Male, around 3 years old

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
—We never mess with him, if it’s sunny out my boyfriend takes him out, if he climbs on the mesh and shows interest in coming out of the cage.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
—He feeds him mainly crickets, rarely waxworms, and recently horned caterpillars. Almost everyday he feeds him crickets until he stops showing interest in eating anymore that day. He’s recently started hand feeding him, which I feel like isn’t good for him and he should move around and eat on his own. He feeds the crickets “Flukers High Calcium Cricket diet”

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
—All I know is that he sometimes dusts crickets with “Flukers calcium with D3”

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? —We use the dripper, and I usually refill it once a day. My boyfriend sprays his cage daily, and so do I when I get home.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? —No I don’t believe it’s ever been tested, and I don’t know what their droppings look like so I don’t know.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
-None that I know of.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? —It’s a huge wardrobe, wood. There are holes drilled on the sides for air flow. And the entire front is mesh. There is the top of the cage that is cut out and replaced with mesh too. I don’t know the dimensions of the cage but it’s the size of a large wardrobe.

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
— He just recently changed Fuji’s light to 100w light bulb, it’s coated blue so I’m pretty sure it’s the heat lamp. He also uses a UV light that I don’t know the numbers of. Lighting schedule is 12 hours on 12 hours off.

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
—There isn’t a temperature gauge in the cage, but I’m assuming it’s about 70 overall in the cage because the house is at 70, and it’s a lot hotter up near his lamp. Sorry I don’t know specifics.

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
— I don’t know the humidity, I believe it is in the 40-50% range but probably higher because sometimes I put a humidifier near his cage and let it run for a few hours near the mesh. Plus I spray the cage throughout the day.

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
— There are multiple fake plants in the cage, and real ones too. I don’t know the kind, but apparently it’s non-toxic to him.

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
— The cage isn’t near any vents or anything, it’s near a window but closed off from any coldness or anything from the wood. The top of the cage is about 6’+ from the floor.

Location - Where are you geographically located?
—Located in Virginia

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

— My problem is that I don’t know what’s normal with veiled chameleons. This isn’t my pet, however I am concerned. He has such a dull color, and when we do take him outside he is SO vibrant. I’ve noticed he sheds a lot, and that worries me. He hardly moves, just stays at the top of his cage almost all day.
I’m just worried, and I want him to have the best life. I would just like to know if these actions are normal. Is he depressed? Dehydrated? Cold?

Attachments

• 1E02CFC3-7F29-4432-8800-1D9502958B26.jpeg
    1E02CFC3-7F29-4432-8800-1D9502958B26.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 155
  • 0BEEB0DB-B516-48C4-8932-99D563B09717.jpeg
    0BEEB0DB-B516-48C4-8932-99D563B09717.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 137
  • CE00C796-69F5-496E-93B0-FBEC9E19E9DD.jpeg
    CE00C796-69F5-496E-93B0-FBEC9E19E9DD.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 156
  • 6591E608-9AC0-4394-AB82-11134A9EB7D8.jpeg
    6591E608-9AC0-4394-AB82-11134A9EB7D8.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 131
He appears to be wanting to warm up seeing how close he is to the light and with he’s color being dark will help him warm up. I would definitely look into getting more horizontal branches for him to perch on and at least 1 about 8 inch or so from the basking spot. You also need some kind of temperature gauge to tell you at least what the basking temperature is. If it’s only 70 degrees that’s not warm enough for a basking spot need to be around the mid 80’s I hope this helps you.

Back
Top Bottom