Dug...stayed...buried... but no eggs??

CarmanCameleon

hi, I've seen many posts on chameleons and their eggs..... but mine has just spent a couple of days digging a hole, stayed in there a day, then covered the hole in...... but there are no eggs. Her belly feels normal, her mood is the same as always (grumpy!) and she is eating and pooping.... should I Worry?

Please post some recent photos of her. It may be phantom laying and she may be eggbound.
Was the hole tamped down or could it have been accidentally filled in?

IMG_1394.JPG
IMG_1397.JPG
IMG_1398.JPG
Please check for me, I'm worried now

My veiled just layer her first clutch, I was getting nervous when I went to dig them out because they were at least 12" deep. Totally shocked she went that deep....

My veiled just layer her first clutch, I was getting nervous when I went to dig them out because they were at least 12" deep. Totally shocked she went that deep....
12" !! Wow show me a pic of your viv sounds amazing! Mine were 4" down under the bark, peat and vermiculite! Clever girl looked like she'd firmed the peat down with a spade lol, it was very neatly put back. I just love nature and learning about it. :)

Whew! What a relief!
Why did you have vermiculite in the eggLAYING container??
That's what you use in the container you incubate the eggs in...not where she lays them.
That's a lot of eggs..you may want to slow her down a bit by feeding her well for a couple of days now and then cutting her food back (not starving...just not overfeeding) and lowering her basking temp to the low 80's F.

Whew! What a relief!
Why did you have vermiculite in the eggLAYING container??
That's what you use in the container you incubate the eggs in...not where she lays them.
That's a lot of eggs..you may want to slow her down a bit by feeding her well for a couple of days now and then cutting her food back (not starving...just not overfeeding) and lowering her basking temp to the low 80's F.
It's in the viv, I have living soil in the viv... so a layer of vermiculite, then peat, then bark topping. I have living plants planted in the viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 114
Bark can lead to an impaction if ingested and I'm betting vermiculite could too. I would remove both and if there are any stones that are smaller than a small apricot I'd remove them too.

The substrate should be at least 12" deep former to have enough depth to dig/lay.

Back
Top Bottom