Dug...stayed...buried... but no eggs??

Discussion in 'Health Clinic' started by CarmanCameleon, Aug 10, 2017.

1. CarmanCameleon

CarmanCameleon New Member

hi, I've seen many posts on chameleons and their eggs..... but mine has just spent a couple of days digging a hole, stayed in there a day, then covered the hole in...... but there are no eggs. Her belly feels normal, her mood is the same as always (grumpy!) and she is eating and pooping.... should I Worry?

2. kinyonga

kinyonga Chameleon Enthusiast

Please post some recent photos of her. It may be phantom laying and she may be eggbound.
    Was the hole tamped down or could it have been accidentally filled in?

3. CarmanCameleon

Ok I'll put some up later - what do I do if she is egg bound?

4. kinyonga

If she's eggbound she needs to see a vet asap before she gets too weak to help.

5. CarmanCameleon

IMG_1394.JPG IMG_1397.JPG IMG_1398.JPG Please check for me, I'm worried now

6. CarmanCameleon

Panic over!!!! Found them right down below the layer of vermiculite! Phew!!!! image.jpg

7. Leo Chance

Leo Chance Member

I like the way this story ended, sometimes they dig deeper than you might think.

Graves923 likes this.
  8. CarmanCameleon

Thanks Leo, she had me worried.... can't believe how deep she went!

9. Andee

Andee Chameleon Enthusiast

She is showing receptive colors again XD so I would've been surprised a lot if she hadn't layed.

Kristen Wilkins and Graves923 like this.
  10. Brodybreaux25

Brodybreaux25 Member

My veiled just layer her first clutch, I was getting nervous when I went to dig them out because they were at least 12" deep. Totally shocked she went that deep....

11. CarmanCameleon

That's the colours she puts on when I go near her..... think it may also mean.... " go away" lol

12. CarmanCameleon

12" !! Wow show me a pic of your viv sounds amazing! Mine were 4" down under the bark, peat and vermiculite! Clever girl looked like she'd firmed the peat down with a spade lol, it was very neatly put back. I just love nature and learning about it. :)

13. kinyonga

Whew! What a relief!
    Why did you have vermiculite in the eggLAYING container??
    That's what you use in the container you incubate the eggs in...not where she lays them.
    That's a lot of eggs..you may want to slow her down a bit by feeding her well for a couple of days now and then cutting her food back (not starving...just not overfeeding) and lowering her basking temp to the low 80's F.

Kristen Wilkins and Andee like this.
  14. CarmanCameleon

It's in the viv, I have living soil in the viv... so a layer of vermiculite, then peat, then bark topping. I have living plants planted in the viv.

Attached Files:

15. Andee

Andee Chameleon Enthusiast

Well honestly that makes sense as to why she due so deep, that is hardly anything for her to dig in.

Kristen Wilkins likes this.
  16. kinyonga

Bark can lead to an impaction if ingested and I'm betting vermiculite could too. I would remove both and if there are any stones that are smaller than a small apricot I'd remove them too.

The substrate should be at least 12" deep former to have enough depth to dig/lay.

Kristen Wilkins likes this.