Dubias eating dog food?

ScaredyCatAsh

So I have a quick question.. and for those that i know have a pet peeve of people who dint look in the search lol I did look for this question! lol. The person that I usually get my dubias was telling me that if I wanted to start a colony I should use a lot of dog/cat food to get my roaches going to they breed faster and like have a lot of babies. I thought that would be a bad idea considering that the chams would be eating their babies which would be eating the dog food stuff too so doesn't that mean the chams would b eating dog food?? Im a lil confused as to what to feed my dubias so they will breed well, I got the heat thing down though :)

Thanks for any advice!

Well your dubia breeder is right. If you want to start a fast breeding colony you want to feed dog food because of all the protein. When you are gonig to start feeding your dubias you want to take out the nymphs that your feeding and keep them in a seperate container with fresh veggies to gut load for at least 24 hours. That way your cham won't be eating dog food : )

Oh okie great :) good to know! thanks for the advice. Ill go pick up some dog food hahaha.. my kitty is going to give me dirty looks! :p

Yes, dog food is the way to go. Look dog food isn't s*hit city. They're made for dogs, and they have vitamins, so there's no deficiencies in dog food, dogs eat it as a staple. I know it's different with chams, but chams need the protein too, they are carnivores and not vegans. Most people gutload their feeders before they feed them maybe 24 hrs before. Same deal with those crickets you buy at the petstore, you gutload those before feeding right? Well what do you think they feed them as a staple? They want to feed them protein to get their numbers producing, and I'm sure they don't feed it Grade A vitamins enriched organic flaxseed mixed with lux bisque. I'm sure they feed them chicken feed as a staple and they expect it's your job to gutload. Which it is.

Dog food is highly nutritious. Problem is, it's animal protein. Fine for roaches, but it can cause severe problems in chameleons. I've seen many chameleons and other lizards end up with gout and other issues when fed insects that ate dog/cat/fish food.

It's excellent for growing your roaches though.

they are carnivores and not vegans.

Sorry Lampshade, they are insectivors despite chowing on the occasional odd lizard etc.
Outside that, only veilds as far as Im aware could technically be considered partly omnivorous since they munch plants occasionally.

Incidently the term vegan applies to human choice only. The correct term is Herbivore, or herbivorous. :)

Yes, dog food is the way to go. Look dog food isn't s*hit city. They're made for dogs, and they have vitamins, so there's no deficiencies in dog food, dogs eat it as a staple. I know it's different with chams, but chams need the protein too, they are carnivores and not vegans. Most people gutload their feeders before they feed them maybe 24 hrs before. Same deal with those crickets you buy at the petstore, you gutload those before feeding right? Well what do you think they feed them as a staple? They want to feed them protein to get their numbers producing, and I'm sure they don't feed it Grade A vitamins enriched organic flaxseed mixed with lux bisque. I'm sure they feed them chicken feed as a staple and they expect it's your job to gutload. Which it is.

1. You should not feed crickets from the store directly to your chameleon due to the fact they often use chicken feed as staple.
2. There is a difference between a low protein (insects) and high protein (animal meat) matter. Your chameleon (as told by Jo) is an insectivore not carnivore. They thrive on low protein food. Feeding them with excessive protein (like Dubia fed with dog food) too often can cause problem. One of which is Gout. Your chameleon body cannot handle such high level of protein just like you should not expect your dog to thrive on gutloaded cricket (low protein). :)
Their bodies just ain't build that way.
http://chamworld.blogspot.com/2008/01/health-section-f-gout_28.html

I would use cat food Ashley it has a higher percentage of protein. I personally use my roach feed and it is incredible. I would gutload my roaches for more than 24 hrs. It is recommended to gutload them for 48-72 hrs prior to feeding them off to your chameleon. I always have water crystals in there tank and throw in veggies one to 3 times a week. Temp and protein is the key to having a huge colony. It is also very very very good to throw in new blood with your roaches if you want to blow up your colony.

-Clemonde

Back
Top Bottom