Dubias and the Chameleon Shooting Gallery

ajs

Avid Member
While waiting for my Discoid colony to get going, I have still been trying to feed my cham Dubias in the shooting gallery.

But, of course they dont hardly move throughout the day and so my cham doesn't tend to eat many of them. I had 7 of them in there all day and he didnt touch them. Unfortunately, I have been having to go into work during these times and do not have time in the morning to try to hand feed him very much (he has started to not eat anything from hand/tong feeding first thing in the morning now anyway).

He is also seemingly reaching a reduced apetite since he is just about 6 months old or so.

Has anyone had success with Dubias in this type of feeder/is there a trick to get them consumed? I absolutely cannot wait to get a more active species in there

NONE of my young ones will eat dubia. Once they are adult size ALL of them refuse crickets and want dubia. Since one dubia is like 6-10 crickets, i guess the adults just like the reduced work load and bigger target.

And since supers never stop moving, you could add a few and make a trail mix, and hope for a few misses. Though a few on this forum have really good aim, and can lead the target, and never miss. I assume those users also have dogs/cats that can eat a bowl of food and still not eat the pill...

Beman was almost 10 months old before he would finally eat dubia... @jamest0o0 has a bunch of different roaches and he sells. Maybe he would set you up with a variety pack of size appropriate for your 6 month old boy. That way you can see what he will respond to. :)

Beman was almost 10 months old before he would finally eat dubia... @jamest0o0 has a bunch of different roaches and he sells. Maybe he would set you up with a variety pack of size appropriate for your 6 month old boy. That way you can see what he will respond to. :)
I actually just bought starter colonies of discoid and green banana from him lol.

NONE of my young ones will eat dubia. Once they are adult size ALL of them refuse crickets and want dubia. Since one dubia is like 6-10 crickets, i guess the adults just like the reduced work load and bigger target.

And since supers never stop moving, you could add a few and make a trail mix, and hope for a few misses. Though a few on this forum have really good aim, and can lead the target, and never miss. I assume those users also have dogs/cats that can eat a bowl of food and still not eat the pill...

I have tried this a couple times but I am worried about getting him addicted to supers. What is the max limit of supers/week you would suggest?

I actually just bought starter colonies of discoid and green banana from him lol.

I have tried this a couple times but I am worried about getting him addicted to supers. What is the max limit of supers/week you would suggest?

6-12 a month. About a quarter his diet by weight. So for mine it was 2 adult dubia, and 2 supers as a snack.

adult cricket = .25g
male adult dubia = 1.50g
female adult dubia = 3.00g
adult superworm = .50g

Going by that, if my normal rate is 2 dozen crickets, thats 3 adult male dubia by nutrition content.
I tried a 1" nymph but it was 1.25g so i kinda gave up.

Reactions: ajs
If you mix in some higher activity roaches like red runners etc. with your dubia they will get them moving. Even just one super can get things going some.

Back
Top Bottom