Dubia Stench (update)

bug.eva

Thanks to all you guys for the help, I was able to find out I do have phorid flies in my dubia bin. Now my question is does anyone know how to remove them without killing any of my colony?

Phorid flies will breed wherever moisture and organic matter are available.

Sorry, just burn the house....

Or like i said, till the frass till its dry. You just gotta get rid of dead things for about 30 days and keep the bin dry. So 24 hour rotation of any veggies etc. maybe a small pc fan blowing into the bin.

FLy traps near a light, above the bin will work too. Remember only flies can lay eggs, no flies, no babies.

I cleaned out all the frass flies, and maggots (outdoors, and it was freezing!), cut screened vents into the lid, and put in new dry egg cartons. I think I had to do this twice.
After that I fed them only relatively dry things like carrots for a while.
They haven't been back since.

Phorid flies will breed wherever moisture and organic matter are available.

Sorry, just burn the house....

Or like i said, till the frass till its dry. You just gotta get rid of dead things for about 30 days and keep the bin dry. So 24 hour rotation of any veggies etc. maybe a small pc fan blowing into the bin.

FLy traps near a light, above the bin will work too. Remember only flies can lay eggs, no flies, no babies.
Haha, thank you

I cleaned out all the frass flies, and maggots (outdoors, and it was freezing!), cut screened vents into the lid, and put in new dry egg cartons. I think I had to do this twice.
After that I fed them only relatively dry things like carrots for a while.
They haven't been back since.
ill keep this in mind thank you

Back
Top Bottom