Dubia Roaches

All 3 of my chams won't touch roaches. Tried dubia and orange head and they ignore them. The only one that eats them is my bearded dragon. Haha.

All 3 of my chams won't touch roaches. Tried dubia and orange head and they ignore them. The only one that eats them is my bearded dragon. Haha.
I think I might have gotten lucky today haha, im gonna offer him a couple tomorrow and see if he is as excited about them as he was today :)

Beman thought they were amazing the first 3 weeks... Then it was a no go. Not in a cup, not on the screen, not from my hand, not running on the branch... Just a no go. LOL then I ended up with 120 roaches he would not eat. I am trying again now though because they are so healthy for them. His favorite feeder right now are silkworms. He is going through his stubborn eating faze right now. I have 50 superworms he won't touch now too lol.

Beman thought they were amazing the first 3 weeks... Then it was a no go. Not in a cup, not on the screen, not from my hand, not running on the branch... Just a no go. LOL then I ended up with 120 roaches he would not eat. I am trying again now though because they are so healthy for them. His favorite feeder right now are silkworms. He is going through his stubborn eating faze right now. I have 50 superworms he won't touch now too lol.
Reptiles are so cute and quirky in this way. I love how they just change their minds about feeders sometimes, or even just hold out until you’re willing to slip them a super worm ;)

Reptiles are so cute and quirky in this way. I love how they just change their minds about feeders sometimes, or even just hold out until you’re willing to slip them a super worm ;)
Yeah it is cute until the invasion of all the unwanted feeders are overflowing in your cabinet :p Like I am still feeding and cleaning the dang things. :(

Yeah it is cute until the invasion of all the unwanted feeders are overflowing in your cabinet :p Like I am still feeding and cleaning the dang things. :(
Ugh I’ve been there! A couple weeks after I finally felt good about my colony and like they had really been established my leos decided “no thanks mom we don’t like these anymore.”
For a minute there we just had pet roaches lol Luckily they changed their minds eventually

My veiled used to eat dubia when he was younger. He is about a year old now and only eats crickets, supers, horns, and silks. Won't touch any other insect. I'm going to try grasshoppers next. I will say he eats a ton more greens now though. If I put collard greens in his cage he will eat them right away and daily.

My veiled used to eat dubia when he was younger. He is about a year old now and only eats crickets, supers, horns, and silks. Won't touch any other insect. I'm going to try grasshoppers next. I will say he eats a ton more greens now though. If I put collard greens in his cage he will eat them right away and daily.
I haven’t actively tried feeding greens yet, I put a little collard in for him but he didn’t act real interested in it so I didn’t leave it in for too long.

Honestly I have a whole new understanding of roaches since keeping them but totally understand why society won't accept them easily. The normal house roaches or German roaches we have are an absolute disgusting sight but that's because they usually associate themselves with a mess that humans created and can carry disease. The feeder species I have and will try are ones that cannot thrive where I live to prevent an invasion. As much as I would like try redrunners I am too scared they will escape and infest. I have a strict no flying or climbing policy haha.

I haven’t actively tried feeding greens yet, I put a little collard in for him but he didn’t act real interested in it so I didn’t leave it in for too long.

How old is your veiled? Mine could care less untill he hit the year mark and then really started to love it. I first noticed he would demolish my pothos so I tried greens and now he eats that instead of my plants.

How old is your veiled? Mine could care less untill he hit the year mark and then really started to love it. I first noticed he would demolish my pothos so I tried greens and now he eats that instead of my plants.
He’s about 3-4 months old, that’s just my guess though. When I got him a week ago the reptile shop told me he was 4 weeks but that was definitely incorrect just based on his size lol.

Honestly I have a whole new understanding of roaches since keeping them but totally understand why society won't accept them easily. The normal house roaches or German roaches we have are an absolute disgusting sight but that's because they usually associate themselves with a mess that humans created and can carry disease. The feeder species I have and will try are ones that cannot thrive where I live to prevent an invasion. As much as I would like try redrunners I am too scared they will escape and infest. I have a strict no flying or climbing policy haha.
The dubias I use as feeders used to gross me out so badly, but now I’m used to them they could almost be considered cute haha.
No flying/climbing is a good policy to stick to

Yeah they probably meant months. Most places don't sell chams at anything less then 3 months. You can try greens at that age but won't likely take it till he's older.

The dubias I use as feeders used to gross me out so badly, but now I’m used to them they could almost be considered cute haha.
No flying/climbing is a good policy to stick to

Dubia dont creep me out as much as the normal ones we have honestly. I think they look like big Rolly Polly or whatever other states call them. Haha.

Yeah they probably meant months. Most places don't sell chams at anything less then 3 months. You can try greens at that age but won't likely take it till he's older.
For being a reptile specific store, I was pretty disappointed with the amount of incorrect info I was given.
Dubia dont creep me out as much as the normal ones we have honestly. I think they look like big Rolly Polly or whatever other states call them. Haha.
Thats exactly what they look like! Lol we call them rolly pollies here in WA too

That is soooo good to know. I tried greens with Beman for a good 4 weeks when he was about 5months old he had no interest at all. So I gave up. I will have to try again since he just hit the 9 month mark and see if it has changed at all.

Back
Top Bottom