Dubia Roaches

OrangeJuice

Established Member
Hello all, I have a few questions about the dubia roach as a feeder! Both my beardie and my chameleon LOVE them. They act the same way when they see hornworms (rubbing their nose on their enclosure as I'm taking them out, running around, just being giddy) and I'm wondering...are they a good staple? I've heard that make a wonderful staple, and I'm considering breeding since I have so many in a bin. But if they're so excited to eat it, is it actually healthy? And if so, should I still be dusting the dubia the same way I would crickets? I haven't found a solid answer to the dusting of vitamins or calcium. I just need to know for my chameleon. Thanks!

I use dubia as a staple. They're actually just as good if not a bit better nutritionally than a cricket. Super easy to keep and breed but beware they have a tendency to sit like rocks at the bottom of feeding cups. I dust them the same way as a cricket, the supplementing schedule shouldn't change between crickets and dubia.

Dubia are better than crickets though they all have their place! They aren't as likey to carry parasites, aren't as dirty, high nutritional content, gutload easy, breed easy, the list goes on... if your cham will actually accept them, then go for it. Many Chams don't like them, like mine unfortunately. If you want an even better roach get orange heads, dunno why people don't recommend them more often, they're the best all around roaches imo, but variety is always key.

My Cham absolutely loves em. That's why I wasn't sure if they were suppose to be a treat haha. Thanks for all the info guys, and I'll try and find a local place for those orange roaches too! I usually switch up with hornworms and some soldier fly larvae.

Back
Top Bottom