Dubia roaches vs crickets?

Hi everyone, I was told by my reptile shop owner I should buy dubias instead of crickets because they hold more nutrition? I've tried doing some research but keep getting conflicting opinions. Can someone please chime in on this?

They're pretty much better than crickets in everyway. I think the only reason some people do not to have them is because they are roaches and "ew". Personally i think crickets are way nastier insects.

That said, why not keep both? Variety is important. A lot of people here feed 6+ different insects throughout the week.

How does the calcium dusting work with dubias, Is it the same as crickets or do they not need dusted even? I only feed with gutloaded crickets right now with a few hornworms throughout the week. I gave him a small Dubia to see if he would eat it and he did so I might start switching to both I just want to make sure he still gets his calcium and proper nutrition.

nutrition20chart.jpg

adult house cricket = .25g
male adult dubia = 1.50g
female adult dubia = 3.00g
adult superworm = .50g
dubia Nymphs 1/2"-5/"8 were .22g each

Nice post nightanole, never saw that before. Going to save that.

As for dusting, same as crickets. I recommend trying orange heads too, they're cared for like dubias and don't climb, fly, etc.

I dust my crickets daily with repashy super foods plus. Should I Do the same with the dubias? And should I feed the same amount 10-12 daily. My little guys only about four months now.

They're pretty much better than crickets in everyway. I think the only reason some people do not to have them is because they are roaches and "ew". Personally i think crickets are way nastier insects.

That said, why not keep both? Variety is important. A lot of people here feed 6+ different insects throughout the week.

I am probably one of those people XD. I raise and regularly have around 6-8 insects on hand. But I buy others when I can, I think my guys usually have around three different feeders a feeding at least.

I wouldn't completely cut crickets out of your diet. But be aware they are more likely to carry pinworms if you are buying them from a place who doesn't keep them clean.

Thanks for the input. I would like to offer alot more but I like to free range since he seems to have slot of fun hunting them down and I'm not sure I can do that with dubias. Right now I am cup feeding the dubias but don't want him to always rely on the cup. Plus the exercise is good for him in sure. I may keep cupping the dubias and free ranging crickets at the same time and then offer the occasional hornworms still!! (Yet to hand feed by the way) On the note of pinworms every time I buy crickets I have cleaners in the bag so hopefully that's a good sign. Can you tell me if I should dust the dubias daily as well??

yes, dust dubia. have you considered ordering bugs online btw? As for free ranging, why not just free range crickets, cupfeed/hand feed roaches, etc? I personally put worms on the leaves/screen, crickets run free, and I hand feed the roaches.

waxworms should be rare treat I do like 2-4 a month max, people seem to shun mealworms so I use superworms instead which are also a treat.

silkworms
butterworms
black soldierfly larvae
hornworms

all have their place in my rotation as well atm. I have about 7-9 feeders usually on hand and get them all online.

I've read a lot, but am still a new cham owner, so I'm basically just repeating what I have learned here from more experienced keepers.

Honestly I cup feed most of my stuff but when I was able to free range, I free ranged all the things I could. It's really important. The problem is I can't do that at the moment due to medical issues with Ryker and I would never free range with Hope, she's too slow because of her MBD, it may have gotten better and is to the point where I can consider her as recovered as she will be likely. But she will never be a normal chameleon. That doesn't stop her from ruling the roost though <3

I use wax worms more often than most people suggest using them, but I also use them on a HUGE rotating feeder schedule. I have never dealt with addiction with either of my two. And with Hope she gets a lot less fatty feeders (like wax worms and super worms) than Ryker does. Ryker has always needed higher fat content, and Hope just needs healthy food and in my opinion that means she gets as big of a menu as I can provide.

Back
Top Bottom