Dubia roach colony

My staple is bsfl, they are voracious eaters!! Gutload with bee pollen, kale, almonds, carrots, I also gutload my crickets with the same, both are my staple feeders. I only use organic gutload, matt vanilla gorilla also sells gutload for feeders

06C30346-6B58-4EC3-A5EE-3655A76B9553.jpeg

My staple is bsfl, they are voracious eaters!! Gutload with bee pollen, kale, almonds, carrots, I also gutload my crickets with the same, both are my staple feeders. I only use organic gutload, matt vanilla gorilla also sells gutload for feeders
I am about to start feeding BSFL... so I gutload the same as if it was dubia right? Do you take them out of the container and the material in it?

Don't use almonds as a gutload!! I have my bsfl in coconut coir, I put the food on top inside the container, bsfl need to be kept in a sealed container, I use a medium size tupperware, after about 3 weeks or a month, it might start to smell, the larvae eat and poo just like silkworms or hornworms, it's just alot smaller but it smells, get a brick of coconut coir anywhere, I got a pound brick off ebay for $10.00+shipping and get a super fine cooking screen. To clean the smelly bsfl dump the container on the screen run lukewarm water over it, viola they are clean, I use the bsfl run off for fertilizer for plants, very nutritious for plants, keep bsfl damp, when you move them into new substrate, cut piece off brick, break up into small pieces to shreds put in container dampen with ro water put bsfl into it, if there are still some pieces of old substrate when put in new container, it's ok because it's clean, then put in gutload on top, then put lid on. I keep bsfl room temperature, I hope that helps

Last edited:
Don't use almonds as a gutload!! I have my bsfl in coconut coir, I put the food on top inside the container, bsfl need to be kept in a sealed container, I use a medium size tupperware, after about 3 weeks or a month, it might start to smell, the larvae eat and poo just like silkworms or hornworms, it's just alot smaller but it smells, get a brick of coconut coir anywhere, I got a pound brick off ebay for $10.00+shipping and get a super fine cooking screen. To clean the smelly bsfl dump the container on the screen run lukewarm water over it, viola they are clean, I use the bsfl run off for fertilizer for plants, very nutritious for plants, keep bsfl damp, when you move them into new substrate, cut piece off brick, break up into small pieces to shreds put in container dampen with ro water put bsfl into it, if there are still some pieces of old substrate when put in new container, it's ok because it's clean, then put in gutload on top, then put lid on. I keep bsfl room temperature, I hope that helps
Awesome thank you so much for all that info!!!

My Max loves BSFL the best! I do same as above, keeping them in damp coconut coir in a Tupperware at room temperature. I add various fruits and veggies on top and they suck in down into the substrate. Its kinda fascinating. They eat like crazy! Their favorite seems to be oranges. When I go to feed them to my boy, I put them in an empty mason jar, add a bit of lukewarm water, swirl to clean, and dump onto paper towels to blot dry before dusting and feeding to my cham. He goes nuts for them.

When you say "he has parasites" and "We keep treating him," how do you know he has parasites, have you run a fecal test on him? What parasites did the fecal exam show? How are you treating parasites, what medications? Who is "We?" you and a vet? Until these questions are answered we are all shouting blindfolded. What lighting and what supplement and vitamin schedule is he on?

On food variety, I would not spend any energy finding silkworms, they have been out of stock for most vendors. Go to Lindasgonebuggie.com, her variety packs will give you the variety you need. The Black Soldier Fly larvae (BSFL) may be refused, but the flies that hatch out will not be ignored. Try Cricket Crack or Bug Buffet for a dry gut load for roaches. Try Red Runner roaches if you want a roach the size and movement of a cricket, without the stink and deaths that crickets bring.

CHEERS!

Nick

Sorry I haven’t answered. I take him to a specialty vet and I have treated him and cleaned his cage thoroughly. He’s on the right track. He started eating the good stuff again. 2 crickets and 6-8 roaches today. I have ordered some silk worms and we will try them as well.

Sorry I haven’t answered. I take him to a specialty vet and I have treated him and cleaned his cage thoroughly. He’s on the right track. He started eating the good stuff again. 2 crickets and 6-8 roaches today. I have ordered some silk worms and we will try them as well.
He has coccidia

If I put them in Tupperware then do they need breathing holes?? I have containers that have small holes with fine mesh over them for lids. Would that work for BSFL?

Attachments

• 24BC827E-794C-4188-BA1B-007524392C38.png
    24BC827E-794C-4188-BA1B-007524392C38.png
    231.8 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Also what should I use to feed them?? Are they okay to feed to your cam all the time or just as treats? Dusting the BSFL with calcium or vitamins I’ve read that they are high in calcium so it’s not good to put anything on them is this true? If they should be dusted with what? Sorry for all the questions

Last edited:
I just recently bought a couple silkwork pods from Coastal Silkworms. I also bought some eggs and I'm gonna give that a try growing some of my own. They are also a sponsor of Chameleon Forums.

Back
Top Bottom