dubia escaping, possibly flying?

jamjam

Established Member
a couple of days ago found an escaped male dubia roaming around my room, the girlfriend almost had a heart attack. the egg flats are maybe 2-3 inches away from the top didnt have a top on them didnt think it was needed. can only think of 2 explanations both revolved around flying. can they fly lie that? 2nd i had a fan going maybe gave him enough momentum to glide out. since the incident only had a cover on them when the fan was on, but even last night heard some noise coming from them double checked and seen some wings out, from my understanding sometimes they will do that for breeing purposes. I didnt want to risk any of them attempting to fly and succeeding so covered them up. anybody have any similar experiences

Adult dubia males are able to flutter and so I do recommend a lid to prevent them from getting out. Mostly they flutter in a controlled descent, though they can go an alright distance like that. Sometimes they are able to get a little lift/height to begin with.

They do use the wings for breeding. When the male is looking to mate they will stick their wings upright, perpendicular to their body. The female will then come along and they will lock up.

dubia cant really "fly" its more like a chicken, graceful falling. :D
Maybe it was able to get 3 inches up and got on the wall of your crate.

oh god that worries me. their in my room hope that was the only one that got out and i caught him

no lid :eek: you are brave - lol - I have 6! locking things on my lids - do you feed the males? maybe someone did not eat their feeder , but I think you are right, and it may have gotten in a lucky launch from your egg crate :rolleyes:

only got them a month ago. got 600 havent been feeding them off want them to get established first so he definitely got out of the dubia bin.

I have kept dubia in large bins with no lid for years, never had one escape, and never seen one fly.
I know the male has wings, but I believe the ability to fly has been bred out of them.
Sometimes, one will climb on my shirt w/o me seeing it, and get out that way.
Or they can hide in a piece of old fruit or something, and when you remove it to throw it away, they can escape that way.

I have kept dubia in large bins with no lid for years, never had one escape, and never seen one fly.
I know the male has wings, but I believe the ability to fly has been bred out of them.
Sometimes, one will climb on my shirt w/o me seeing it, and get out that way.
Or they can hide in a piece of old fruit or something, and when you remove it to throw it away, they can escape that way.

I have a lid with a part of it screen on the top of my rubbermaid totes. I have seen males hanging upside down on the screen when I've had higher populations or the egg crates under the screen. So they can get some lift if they want, just very minimal. The also can do a controlled flutter downward from whatever height they are at.

One of male orange heads was on the floor yesterday. He got out with no lid, also. Crates about 4-5" from top. Time for a taller bin, like what I keep crix in. Eeewwwhhhh!

found a fregin other one!!! this is freaking me out. hope it really isnt that easy for them and that they are having shear luck. like ive temporarily had a screen on no lid. just some hardware cloth that left maybe a half inch-inch on the sides that were not covered. seems as if the moment the lights go out they go nuts all i hear is them surrying around and eating and some other random sounds. came to the point it worried me turned on the light and one landed in a container of coco fibre i have a hornworm pupating in so didnt get anywhere. hope to go theres no more that got out and are hiding. def by the weeekend im setting up a lid, i temporarily have lid on top a little off set so some air can get it so i can sleep

found a fregin other one!!! this is freaking me out. hope it really isnt that easy for them and that they are having shear luck. like ive temporarily had a screen on no lid. just some hardware cloth that left maybe a half inch-inch on the sides that were not covered. seems as if the moment the lights go out they go nuts all i hear is them surrying around and eating and some other random sounds. came to the point it worried me turned on the light and one landed in a container of coco fibre i have a hornworm pupating in so didnt get anywhere. hope to go theres no more that got out and are hiding. def by the weeekend im setting up a lid, i temporarily have lid on top a little off set so some air can get it so i can sleep

If you had screen over it that left an edge, they could have easily gotten onto the screen and then crawled to the edge and gotten out.

If you had screen over it that left an edge, they could have easily gotten onto the screen and then crawled to the edge and gotten out.

yeah i get that part its the several inches to get to the screen that makes me wonder, because the first time was a bare top. my brother started on the screen lid today while i was at work just didnt know where the glue gun was

I want to thank you in advance for the nightmares I will have tonight. Thanx! I just started my breeding of the orange heads, which are HUGE! It just dawned me, that I am going to have to clean their cage. Not very well thought out, I think.:eek:

I have a lid with a part of it screen on the top of my rubbermaid totes. I have seen males hanging upside down on the screen when I've had higher populations or the egg crates under the screen. So they can get some lift if they want, just very minimal. The also can do a controlled flutter downward from whatever height they are at.

Yikes!! I have never seen anything like this.
I use egg cartons also, have never seen a male outside the bin.
Even when I forget to feed them, I would think hunger would be an incentive to escape, but I have never seen it happen.

Your comment disturbs me, maybe I will go find the lid!!

I cut the top of the lid out and hotglued screen, I just don't use it, and I don't even know where it is!

I want to thank you in advance for the nightmares I will have tonight. Thanx! I just started my breeding of the orange heads, which are HUGE! It just dawned me, that I am going to have to clean their cage. Not very well thought out, I think.:eek:

Those ARE huge! only seen pics of them, never actually had any.
What do you do with them when they get really big and there are too many?
Do you have an animal that can eat those monsters?

Back
Top Bottom