Dubia colony/mite question.

chameleonoobie

I haven’t started a colony yet, but doing research. Have to ask about mites. Are they inevitable? What can you do to have a mite-free colony and what can you do, if anything, if they show up?

Well

I have some type of beetle or mite in my lobster colony from letting to much water get in there from the sponge I think and getting rid of them seems impossible but they are not in my dubia bin at all. So watch the moisture on the floor of the bin.

Another dumb noob question:
Are all Dubia roaches illegal in Florida? Is this just a certain type or what?
Here’s a link to a story about someone arrested for ordering the roaches online to set up a colony.
Link

Yeah

That's ridiculous but yeah they are to my knowledge but you can obtain a permit. There are other types of roaches that are legal though I'm not sure what type just google it or go on some roach forums.

O.k. I did some web surfing and did find a web site that said blaberus discoidalis were legal but blatta lateralis and blaptica dubia are both illegal in Florida. So I guess I will start researching setting up the discoid roach colony, which I assume is almost the same thing. I would still like to know how to keep a colony mite free.

Yeah

Go for it and I really wouldn't worry about it if anything they eat the dead roaches and like I said just keep the water to a minimum kinda hard cause u want humidity but just don't let it pool. Keeping clean helps too I'm sure but my dubia colony is fine and I honestly don't clean very often.

Legal roaches in Florida

Roaches that are legal to sell in Florida include any species native or adventive there. Also male hissers. Blaberus discoidales and Blaberus craniifer can be sold to Florida as an example and so can Green banana roaches. We have sold all three there but not Dubia. Green banana roaches are an adventive species there. In fact the main colony we sell from was originally obtained in Florida in 1994 of green banana roaches.

As far as mites go keeping them out is key. Using microscreen helps as does keeping moisute content from getting excessive and not having a lot of leftover food for them to eat. People have also used isopods and recently pseudoscorpions to eat them.

Digby Rigby

Bulk dubia and other roach sales [email protected]

Back
Top Bottom