dubia climbers

ChamOh

Established Member
so apparently dubia can climb up the sealant used in the corners of tanks, I don't know why I didn't think of it, because it is a pretty sticky surface. I recently switched over one of my bins to a 10 gal tank and a few days later i notice 2 of the creatures climbing up the corners! To my delight both fell before making their grand escape. Has anyone witnessed dubia successfully breaking out of one of these tanks?

I'm not a little curious how many may have escaped..in my home :(

Just run to the store and spend a few bucks on a cheap plastic storage tub.
It's much easier to handle and clean than a glass aquarium tank too.

Just run to the store and spend a few bucks on a cheap plastic storage tub.
It's much easier to handle and clean than a glass aquarium tank too.

They climb out of the plastic storage tubs, my friend just gave me one with about 1000 roaches in it and when I opened it they were all sitting on the top. Those stupid babies, I had to move as many as I could into my glass tank and kill the rest, there were WAY too many.

Some of colored tubs tend to have a slightly rough surface. I kniow the roaches prefer the dark, but I tend to use the clear totes, because they are much smoother and harder to climb. Clear 2" packing tape on the seams of the aquarium would probably stop them from escape.

Killed the rest??? SACRILEGE!!!!!!!

Try another brand of storage tub-

I've got zillions and I've used 50 gallon storage boxes for years. I have 3 50 gallon dubia boxes full of them going right now.

Over the holidays I bought a 20 gallon storage tub that was a christmas color (green). It wasn't made out of the same stuff- was softer and scratched easily and my superworm beetles crawled right out! So, not all are the same. Try to find a smooth one and dubia shouldn't be able to climb out.

Some of colored tubs tend to have a slightly rough surface. I kniow the roaches prefer the dark, but I tend to use the clear totes, because they are much smoother and harder to climb. Clear 2" packing tape on the seams of the aquarium would probably stop them from escape.

Killed the rest??? SACRILEGE!!!!!!!

Haha I had no choice it was late and the reptile store was closed and they were climbing out like crazy. I couldn't let them get out I rent and my friend was sleeping over so I stuck them outside. I checked the next day before throwing them out and one was still alive somehow so I kept it.

They are too fat to make it out. Only the little babies have a chance and I've never seen one successfully make it to the top, ever. And even if they get out, they don't really do anything. Onetime I dropped a huge one and I didn't see where it went. A month later I found it in my cup of juice that I had left next to my bed before I went to sleep. :) it drowned.

I let the spiders around my home live wherever they want (as long as it somewhat out of the way) so they eat all my escapees. When I go check on some of them I see medium sized babies feasting on large crickets sometimes.

They are too fat to make it out. Only the little babies have a chance and I've never seen one successfully make it to the top, ever. And even if they get out, they don't really do anything. Onetime I dropped a huge one and I didn't see where it went. A month later I found it in my cup of juice that I had left next to my bed before I went to sleep. :) it drowned.

I let the spiders around my home live wherever they want (as long as it somewhat out of the way) so they eat all my escapees. When I go check on some of them I see medium sized babies feasting on large crickets sometimes.

I would probably die.... :p

I keep them my Dubias in a bin, around the inside about three inches from top I put 1 1/2 inch clear packing tape. Even if they can get to the tape they can't get a grip on it.

cheers,

Back
Top Bottom